German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I can only find Fromm's Four Star. They range between 325-370 cals/cup.
Any others off the top of your head?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream 360 kcals/cup.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, good call.....and they sell it two minutes from my house. I was looking into Solid Gold when your response popped up. Thanks!

Keep 'em comin', please!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
All of the Merrick kibbles are under 400. Including all 3 flavors of the Before Grain (grain free) kibbles.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Innova Large Breed Adult is 350. But the "regular" Innova Adult is OVER at 557.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Taste of the Wild:
High Praire is 370
Wetlands is 375

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Wellness Large Breed Adult is 336.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Just wanted to add that all "cups" are apparently NOT created equal.

For instance with Innova, the regular adult is 557 cals per "cup". A "Cup" is considered 5.6 oz.

The Innova LBP is 366 cals per cup. But a "cup" of LBP is 3.6oz

And with Merrick products, a "cup" is 100 grams.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
It's like the difference between a cup of feathers and a cup of nails. Or perhaps a better comparison is a cup of peanut butter versus a cup of popcorn. The unit of measure isn't a meaningful comparison.

Same with kibble brands. The cups listed on the bag are only a way of knowing how much of that one to feed (and even then, it's just a starting point.) But that number of cups can't be transferred to a different brand of kibble and expect the same results.

Kibble brands all have different caloric density. This is why it is often said that with some premium kibbles you can feed less than a cheaper kibble. It takes more cups of cheap kibble to provide the same calories as a denser one.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Tracy,

I don't understand what you are saying. What is "weird" to me is that the SAME company considers one type of their kibble(the Adult) to be 5.6oz per "cup" while another type (The Large Breed Puppy) is only 3.6 oz per cup. I don't see how kibbles from the same maker would be like a cup of PB vs. a cup of popcorn.

It would make it a lot easier to figure out which food would be a better value if all "cups" were created equal.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Quote: I don't understand what you are saying. What is "weird" to me is that the SAME company considers one type of their kibble(the Adult) to be 5.6oz per "cup" while another type (The Large Breed Puppy) is only 3.6 oz per cup.
Because they are two different formulations--two different "recipes." Peanut butter vs. popcorn is an exaggerated example, but it's the same idea.

The puppy kibble mentioned above weighs less because it is less dense---it either has more air in it, or includes lighter ingredients.

The issue is that a cup is a measure of volume, not weight. It's convenient to talk about kibble in "cups" because it's a handy kitchen measure, but as you've discovered, it is not really meaningful.

Think about it this way--how would you answer the following question: "How much does a cup of food weigh?"

?

Well...it depends. A cup of rice? A cup of grapes? A cup of strained peas?

That's the same issue with kibble. "Kibble" is just a generic word for "food." So if you ask, "How much does a cup of kibble weigh?" You have to know which specific kibble.

Hope this rambling helps a little.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow. Scary, but this makes sense.......I'm a math teacher.

I'm taking all your advice, as well as upping his walks. I thought there was a way to switch out his higher calorie food for one less, without changing the amount.
I'll keep you posted on chubby's progress.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Shapes make a difference. Less round kibble will fit in a cup than flat kibble which will pack in tighter. Less kibble makes less weight makes less calories. How much non-nutrient filler is used also contributes. I buy high calorie food (Innova) and feed less. Less food means less cost and less yard cleanup. But like others said, weight is important so I'd be curious if Innova fares that well using weight as a measure as their adult kibble is small and flat so it packs in tight.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I was curious on this so I emailed Nature's Logic, here's their reply
We have a postal meter here at the office, so for another customer I went
and did all 4 canine kibble flavors. I tried to be consistant by making the
measurements level across the top of the dry measuring cup.

Chicken - 124 grams/cup (4.37oz)
Lamb - 128 grams/cup (4.52oz)
Venison - 130 grams/cup (4.59oz)
Duck&Salmon - 120 grams/cup (4.23oz)

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Ok so now someone tell me how many cups this is in a 26.4 pound bag
I Had an ultra crappy day at work and my brain is fried.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Well, let's see, if I pour the whole thing out on the kitchen floor and start measuring it back into the bag, one cup at a time....

Oh ****, Zamboni and Camper just came in drooled all over it,

making it lumpy, stick together, and weigh too much...

Back to the kibble store for another bag...

You sure that feeding raw isn't easier?

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Ok 26.4 * 16 oz in a pound / 12 oz (aprox Dante gets a day) = 35 days.
Right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts