German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So Zoey has been a good dog all in all. But she has a super bad habit of stealing food off of the counter or even my 4 year old daughters plate. She knows better than to try that with me or my husband. Outside of locking her up when we are eating is there any advice you have? The leftovers were too hot to put in the fridge yet which is why they were covered up and pushed back on the counter but obviously she is not a small dog and can reach almost anywhere on the counter. This is super frustrating. Thanks for any help :/.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I had the same problem with my puppy. She was a counter surfer. Nothing was safe on the counter or the table. But with constant monitoring and correction, a firm NO or LEAVE IT worked. It did take a while but now she doesn't do that anymore. Just keep giving her a verbal correction and Zoey will come around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It just is super annoying. And she right away knows she did something bad, she gets that "oh no I'm in trouble face" which tends to make me even more upset with her. But I will work on just correcting her and being firm and on top of her.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Sabrina:

Poor thing. As good as we may think our dog's kibble is, it must taste like doo-doo in comparison to well cooked human food. I used to get mad at my dog because he only needed a few minutes to polish off anything he found on my counters. But then I said to myself that if I was a dog I would find it almost irresistible to do the same.

As I started catching him in the act, and telling him "no" it became less of a problem. Sometimes I would be in the living room and see him go into the kitchen. I would give him just a minute in there and I would yell, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Not a mean yell, just talking loud. He would run out and hop on a sofa and look at me like, "how did you know what I was doing?" LOL.

Just remember your baby is totally innocent in her heart, even if she is being naughty, so you don't want to impose human mischief on her and think she is doing this "on purpose."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts