German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

I have been feeding my dog California Naturals which has now been recalled and I am having trouble finding something to switch to. My boy is 6 and he is allergic to poultry, barley, oats. I had him on the lamb and rice formula and I am having a hard time finding another limited ingredient dog food. I wanted to see if anyone is having this problem and what you have switched to. I only have a bit of food left and want to try and mix whatever California Naturals I have left with a new food. I have been doing a bit of research on Orijen the 6 fix and the regional red, but I'm reading a lot about the negative effects of putting your dog on a high protein diet. Is this a bad idea? Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Thank you!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think Freshpet, Fish4dogs, Superior, Wellness and Nutrisca may have
formulas with no poultry or grains.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love Orijen and Acana, which is made by the same company. You may also want to check out Natural Balance which has a limited ingredient diet.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Hey Everyone,

I have been feeding my dog California Naturals which has now been recalled and I am having trouble finding something to switch to. My boy is 6 and he is allergic to poultry, barley, oats. I had him on the lamb and rice formula and I am having a hard time finding another limited ingredient dog food. I wanted to see if anyone is having this problem and what you have switched to. I only have a bit of food left and want to try and mix whatever California Naturals I have left with a new food. I have been doing a bit of research on Orijen the 6 fix and the regional red, but I'm reading a lot about the negative effects of putting your dog on a high protein diet. Is this a bad idea? Any suggestions would be wonderful!

Thank you!
Annamaet Manitok & Aqualuk are the two best non-poultry foods on the market. Simple formulas but pretty much up to Annamaet's performance food called Ultra. The problem with many LID diets is that they are vapid foods. These are two great foods, especially for a person from PA where the company is based. When you call Annamaet you get to speak directly with one of the most knowledgable nutritionists around. That is a big plus.

Try locating the food at a store, the prices tend to be much better than on-line. I can get Manitok for $60/30lbs, which is abnormally cheap but this trainer I get it from is not greedy.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Taste of the wild uses other more natural protein sources that are not livestock based, water foul, bison, venice, and others. I have had great results with my sensitive stomach kids and they are all grain free.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have used Natural Balance whenever I've needed to go LID the last 20 years with good results. There are so many more LID foods on the market these days that finding a suitable one should be easy.
Also, your dog does not sound like it needs a LID food. Every major brand has options that don't include poultry, barley or oats.
If you're going kibble instead of raw; high protein grain free is the way to go if you can afford it. True, there are some GSDs that don't handle high protein too well, but I find that the majority do. The main issue that people have with high protein is actually cost not health; but only you know your budget.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I had to do it over...

If I could start all over again...I would stay away from all chicken/egg products and starches (potatoes/tapioca starch). This is what has caused us anxiety for 1.5 years now with our GSD...

Now she's on Orijen Fish and Beef combo (I also add enzymes and yogurt). The best thing we've done for her...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts