German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi
i’m generally able to order dog food through my job for my 99yr old grandmother and deliver it personally but now that i’m working from home, in addition to avoiding contact with her, i was thinking of having a bag delivered directly to her house via Chewy or another company?

i saw at least one person say that their Chewy order was at least 7 days late (and of course it varies by area), but anyone receive their order more quickly? or have another company they recommend?

i’m going to call to see if they can give me a ballpark idea of delivery times, but wanted to have a handy back up... otherwise i’ll make the 3hr round trip. hoping to get it to her within a week.

thanks

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
Tractor Supply is running way behind and I even had a friend run dog food for me through a Veterinary practice which gets priority over other orders from Purina as well as Sunday delivery but it took them five days just to ship out, still waiting for delivery. Same with TS.

What I have had the most success with is curbside pickup.

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
Do you feel it's any safer for her to have a stranger deliver her dog food? Serious question. I'm not in this situation so just throwing out a concern. Is there someone that can clean the bag and bring it inside for her?

·
Super Moderator
6,295 Posts
It seems all delivery service is running behind.Our Chewy order was exactly 7days late.An (unrelated to dogs) order I placed last week is going to be 2 weeks later than usual:(

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you feel it's any safer for her to have a stranger deliver her dog food? Serious question. I'm not in this situation so just throwing out a concern. Is there someone that can clean the bag and bring it inside for her?
Hey, yeah, thanks for bringing that up... I hadn’t thought about that specifically but she was OK with the idea and would clean and bring the bag inside herself. It’s 26# and she schleps that bag around already with no issues.

Chewy wasn’t a great help, but understandably, gave the same 5-7 day estimate mentioned above with no guarantee.

Looking at amazon now...

If all else fails, driving wouldn’t be the worse thing... gets me out of the house. It just sits weirdly with me to drive all that way and only wave from a window 😢

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
I have 2 months of food for Scarlet, but only about 45 days of cat food (that’s a whole bunch of tiny little cans!). I ordered cat food from Chewy on March 21, and I got it yesterday, the 29th.

It is weird to wave at someone, when you drop something off. My niece and her boyfriend drove to my house yesterday to get her tv and pet food & supplies that she had left here. I haven’t seen her in probably 6 weeks. I set her stuff out on the driveway, and we waggled the baby at her from the porch, about 30 feet away. So very weird.

I really need to go borrow a rocking chair from my best friend’s mom’s antique/junk store. It’s obviously closed (non essential), but I have a key. This baby needs a rocking chair!! We’ve been using a folding camp rocking chair, and it bit the dust yesterday. No rocking chair = unhappy baby that won’t go to sleep. Ugh. Do I get out to get the chair? It’s kind of an essential errand to us, lol.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Petflow.com may be another option. They claim to only be 2-3 days behind.

I would avoid Amazon right now, if there are other options. Their delivery times are chaotic at the moment -- and they've seemingly jacked up prices on a lot of necessities sold by Amazon themselves (not third-party sellers).

FWIW, I'm mixing up a 10% bleach solution to spray on everything that comes into my house, and my elderly family is doing the same -- just spray the box on the porch and wait 10 min. or so, then open it and spray the interior contents, and wait again. Wash up well after handling the box or merchandise. It's inexpensive and not terribly difficult.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is weird to wave at someone, when you drop something off. My niece and her boyfriend drove to my house yesterday to get her tv and pet food & supplies that she had left here. I haven’t seen her in probably 6 weeks. I set her stuff out on the driveway, and we waggled the baby at her from the porch, about 30 feet away. So very weird.
Her health is good but considering her age, I realize that any time I see her, could very well be my last. Right now preferring the image of us playing cards last month.

Anyway, on the fence still but will put in a call to Petflow as well to check her zip code.

Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
4,735 Posts
let us know how Pet Flow is doing? I did get an email from Chewys last week that said that if we needed our autoships on time, to order right away otherwise expect it to come late.
Not surprising.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Hey, yeah, thanks for bringing that up... I hadn’t thought about that specifically but she was OK with the idea and would clean and bring the bag inside herself. It’s 26# and she schleps that bag around already with no issues.

Chewy wasn’t a great help, but understandably, gave the same 5-7 day estimate mentioned above with no guarantee.

Looking at amazon now...

If all else fails, driving wouldn’t be the worse thing... gets me out of the house. It just sits weirdly with me to drive all that way and only wave from a window 😢
Take a lawn chair and have her sit near a window and you can have a coffee! Someone was just talking about this. Elderly relative all alone so he just went and sat on the front drive and they chatted through the door! She loved it and was grateful for the company.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
I ordered Nupro from Petflow on the 21st and got it yesterday. So I guess the same as Chewy.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Take a lawn chair and have her sit near a window and you can have a coffee! Someone was just talking about this. Elderly relative all alone so he just went and sat on the front drive and they chatted through the door! She loved it and was grateful for the company.
I actually just thought that-- I bet she'd be so happy to see you even if she can't really "see" you if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
How's her hearing? If poor, pre arrange that she's organised to chat on the phone as you sit on your lawn chair, so you're not shouting at each other.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are great... I’m going to go ahead and make the drive! since our shelter-in-place has just been extended til May, I’ll go ahead and use Chewy for her next bag since I’ll have more time.

Petflow’s website says 2-3 days longer than usual. The rep that I spoke with was unable to give an estimate without the order placed. I didn’t press the issue, figure I was the billionth call with the same question.

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the universe works in funny ways.
was planning my surprise delivery and coffee date for tomorrow.
get a text from my grandmother just now (yes, she texts, lol) saying “i hope food doesn’t come tomorrow, we are going to be in (insert the city i live in)”
ha!
so a 3hr round trip drive just became 10 minutes.

·
Super Moderator
2,503 Posts
Aww, glad it worked. I miss my grandma, her birthday is in a few days and of course my visit was canceled....
I just can’t justify crossing two states to sit in her lawn and wave. Plus we have a travel ban.
I’ve been printing word puzzles and mailing them to her so we have something lighthearted to talk about. Since she doesn’t really poke around the Internet much, she doesn’t cheat and we get to go back and forth for a few days. :)
We’ve been chipping away at this one for about a week, in case anyone else wants to twist their brain a bit, or send it to your grandparent/parent. There are 27 figures of speech in the drawing.... ready set go.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn’t read the entire thread but I am a RN AND I URGE everyone to take this virus serious. I’m in a hotspot in the US. THIS THING IS SERIOUS. don’t underestimate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure how far you got, but all suggestions and actions mentioned were responsible.

Working from home, avoiding contact, disinfecting bag, visiting through a door / window, mailing / texting games...

Ps. @WIBackpacker there are at least 27 figures of speech fyi 😛

1 - 20 of 31 Posts