German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the search(possibly) for a new food. I was feeding TWO for some time. When their prices kept going up & up I had to switch. So I researched & looked on this board & picked TOTW. I've been on it just about since it was first available. My dogs are doing very well on it. The only down side is no one around here carries it, so I have to order it and it is (unfortunatly) getting rather expensive to feed 5 large dogs. I do supplement with raw, but that isn't cheap in my area either & only a few of the dogs tolerate it, so I can't go 100% to raw. So I guess I'm looking for opinions on a food that is comparable to TOTW, just maybe not as expensive or something I can buy locally. TIA

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Have you checked to see what grain free foods can you get locally?

·
Registered
478 Posts
i hate to say it, but in my area and i'm pretty sure everyone can also attest to the fact that most of the foods that are nutritionally sound are also not very cheap. even the supermarket crap that is full of byproduct and corn and fillers aren't cheap anymore. at least not like they used to be back in the day. i would start out doing what tracy said and research what is available in your area first as far as grain free goes and go from there. i know wellness core has gone up tremendously in my area. evo is expensive too. i thought that taste of the wild was one of the modestly priced ones. i guess if you have to order it, that's where the increase comes from.

good luck and let us know what you decide to go with!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
natural balance does make a grain free, allergy formula. they do vennison and sweet potato, duck and sweet potato or fish and sweet potato. petco sells this product also.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
I just bought Rocky a bag of NB Vension and SP and it was $30 for 15 lbs. The 40lb (of course they were sold out) is up to $46.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Just out of curiosity do you have a Tractor Supply store around you? They dont show up as dealer yet they do carry it.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: DSuddI just bought Rocky a bag of NB Vension and SP and it was $30 for 15 lbs. The 40lb (of course they were sold out) is up to $46.
Are you sure the big bag is 40lbs? The biggest bag of Ven and SP I have ever seen is 28lbs. (Here it is 28lbs for $49.99.
)

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
The tractor supplys in my area don't carry TOTW:(( I get mine from MVPets I use to have to order it, but now they carry the full line! I am on my 3rd 30# bag(raw fed, totw pacific stream supplements it) since January, and the price has gone up each time I buy it...

·
Registered
478 Posts
yep, the nb vennison and sp only comes in 28# bags. the only reason i know this is i work at a pet nutrition center.....

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Maybe but the cashier told me that lady in front of me bought the last 40 lbs bag of the V & SP formula.

Wow $46 for 28 lbs. Prices sure have increased lately.

Interesting information: I found a website today that lists foods with and without corn. Costco is supposed to have a store brand that doesnt not have corn in it. Of course I didnt see the rest of the ingredients and it wont come up on the website. Anyone have any more info on the Costco Kirkland brand?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: DSuddMaybe but the cashier told me that lady in front of me bought the last 40 lbs bag of the V & SP formula.

Wow $46 for 28 lbs. Prices sure have increased lately.
The cashier is wrong. Even according to the Natural Balance website it comes in 5, 15, and 28lb bags ONLY.

Same with the Sweet Potato and Fish.

The Potato and Duck comes in 5, 17, and 30lb bags.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
LOL I guess I would of figured it out when I run out of the current bag.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OOPS!!
I forgot about this thread. What I have in my area is a Pets Supplies Plus and two local farm/feed stores. We are getting a Tactor Supply store by fall. Not sure what it will carry though.
I noticed Diamond now carries a grain-free food. Has anyone tried that? I'll look into those others that have been mentioned too. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
where do you order your food from online? petfooddirect.com sends coupons by e-mail for 15-22% off, this will generally cover the cost of shipping (especially if you only order when the 20%+ coupons are sent). just sign up for offers with your e-mail address from them and you'll receive them every week.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I love PFD, also their sister company nationalpetpharmacy.com has the same products/food and more medical supplies. They also apparently send out coupons, though I haven't received any from either company, I guess I have a spam blocker? It doesn't block out all the real spam I get though. lol I have to bum the codes off of others.

ETA: An example of the savings you can get: Before my first order of BG, I went around locally, they could 'special order' it for me for $50-55/bag. On PFD it's $40/bag plus shipping. With a coupon code I got the bag plus two antlers (kind of overpriced IMO at $7 each) and it came to the $55 I would have spent anyways, plus it was delivered to my door. Just make sure to order before you run out, it seems to take 3+ days before it ships, then a couple days before it is actually delivered.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally Posted By: EmooreI believe Pet Supplies Plus carries TOTW. That's where I buy mine.
Ours doesn't, it doesn't carry much of anything useful. Unless you are into froo-froo doggy wear and "designer" beds & doggy pillows.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts