German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm new here, thank you for having me. I was trying to figure out a new diet for my 4 months old puppy to switch from Royal Canin which she doesn't like and I read the forums which made me change mind about the food quality.
I was wondering what would be the opinion on French dog food from Atavik, but I couldn't find any topic about it.
Here's an example of the puppy food itself and I was wondering if it would be good for my puppy.

Composition

Poisson cru (30%), poulet déshydraté (25%), petits pois, pommes de terre, graisse de poulet (12%), fèves, graines de lin, pulpe de betterave déshydratée, levure de bière, algues déshydratées, fructo-oligosaccharides, extrait de yucca, chardon, tige d’ananas déshydratée, grenade déshydratée, cynorrhodon déshydraté, mûre déshydratée, glucosamine sulfate (80mg/kg), chondroïtine sulfate (40mg/kg)
Additifs par kg :

Additifs nutritionnels (par kg)

3a672a vitamine A 22500 UI, vitamine D3 1550 UI, 3a700 vitamine E (t.r. alfa toc. acet.) 190mg, E4 sulfate de cuivre pentahydrate 67mg, E1 carbonate de fer 70mg, E5 oxyde de manganèse 88mg, E6 sulfate de zinc monohydrate 211mg, E2 iodate de potassium 5,04mg, E8 sélénite de sodium 0,39mg

Constituants analytiques

Protéines brutes 30%, matières grasses 19%, humidité 8%, cendres brutes 8%, cellulose brute 2,6%, calcium 1,25%, phosphore 0,95%

Energie métabolisable : 3950 kcal/kg

Thanks again for reading and helping out. I tried looking for food mentioned in others thread, but most of them seem to not be sold in France...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi there. I used the internet to translate the ingredients since my college French is long gone from my memory.

If I was looking at this food for my 6-month old puppy I would not like that:
the third ingredient is peas and the fourth is potatoes, and the sixth is beans. The 30% protein is good and the calcium/phosphorous looks good, but overall, personally, I would look for something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I was also considering Orijen since it seems to be pretty good quality, but I noticed their food for puppy has 38% protein which sounds really high. (my breeder told me to avoid going for something above 32%)
I also checked the other choice from Orivik which is salmon+chicken and it actually looks better in term of what's inside:

Composition

Saumon frais (26%), poulet déshydraté (26%), graisse de volaille (11%), patate douce déshydratée, pois, digest volaille (5%), pulpe de betterave déshydratée, graine de lin, huile de saumon (1,5%), levure de bière, minéraux, racine de chicorée déshydratée, manno oligo saccharides, farine de krill (0,2%), algue déshydratée, graine de chardon-Marie déshydratée, églantine déshydratée, extrait de yucca Schidigera, grenades déshydratées, myrtilles déshydratées, glucosamine (0,01%), sulfate de chondroïtine (0,01%)

vitamine A 14000 U.I., vitamine D3 1000 U.I., vitamine E 100 mg, zinc (sulfate de zinc monohydraté) 62,5 mg, fer (sulfate de fer monohydraté) 50 mg, manganèse (sulfate de manganèse monohydraté) 5 mg, cuivre (sulfate de cuivre pentahydraté) 10 mg, iode (iodate de calcium anhydre) 1,5 mg, sélénium (sélénite de sodium) 0,15mg, taurine 1000 mg, additifs sensoriels : extrait de plantes (Rosmarinus sp., Curcuma sp., Citrus sp., Eugenia sp.), additifs technologiques : liants (Bentonite) 5000 mg, antioxygènes

Constituants analytiques

protéine brute 30%, matières grasses brutes 21%, cendres brutes 8%, cellulose brute 2,5%, humidité 10%, calcium 1,2%, phosphore 0,9%

Energie métabolisable : 4010 kcal/kg

Compared to the others there's a bit of sweet potatoes and peas, but it seems to be 5% overall between pea+sweet potatoes+digest poultry. So at least it sounds better. (and obviously much better than Royal Canin I'm guessing lol)
Do you happen to have a list of ingredients I should rather avoid for the food by the way?

Thanks again for helping out, hopefully I figure out something that I can buy for my puppy which has some nice quality.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I was trying to figure out what large breed puppy kibble for my boy I ended up making up a spreadsheet with about 6 products comparing the proteins and other ingredients.

My personal choice is to feed a food WITH grains. I eliminated any products that had pea protein, and any kind of beans or lentils. Whole peas are ok in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
I don’t have a solution but a lot depends on what is available to you. I am having trouble getting food for each of my dogs due to shortages. I’ve had to scramble to keep it stocked at home.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis, Reacher Auf Der Marquis
1,601 Posts
Hello,
Thank you for your reply. I was also considering Orijen since it seems to be pretty good quality, but I noticed their food for puppy has 38% protein which sounds really high. (my breeder told me to avoid going for something above 32%)
I also checked the other choice from Orivik which is salmon+chicken and it actually looks better in term of what's inside:

Composition

Saumon frais (26%), poulet déshydraté (26%), graisse de volaille (11%), patate douce déshydratée, pois, digest volaille (5%), pulpe de betterave déshydratée, graine de lin, huile de saumon (1,5%), levure de bière, minéraux, racine de chicorée déshydratée, manno oligo saccharides, farine de krill (0,2%), algue déshydratée, graine de chardon-Marie déshydratée, églantine déshydratée, extrait de yucca Schidigera, grenades déshydratées, myrtilles déshydratées, glucosamine (0,01%), sulfate de chondroïtine (0,01%)

vitamine A 14000 U.I., vitamine D3 1000 U.I., vitamine E 100 mg, zinc (sulfate de zinc monohydraté) 62,5 mg, fer (sulfate de fer monohydraté) 50 mg, manganèse (sulfate de manganèse monohydraté) 5 mg, cuivre (sulfate de cuivre pentahydraté) 10 mg, iode (iodate de calcium anhydre) 1,5 mg, sélénium (sélénite de sodium) 0,15mg, taurine 1000 mg, additifs sensoriels : extrait de plantes (Rosmarinus sp., Curcuma sp., Citrus sp., Eugenia sp.), additifs technologiques : liants (Bentonite) 5000 mg, antioxygènes

Constituants analytiques

protéine brute 30%, matières grasses brutes 21%, cendres brutes 8%, cellulose brute 2,5%, humidité 10%, calcium 1,2%, phosphore 0,9%

Energie métabolisable : 4010 kcal/kg

Compared to the others there's a bit of sweet potatoes and peas, but it seems to be 5% overall between pea+sweet potatoes+digest poultry. So at least it sounds better. (and obviously much better than Royal Canin I'm guessing lol)
Do you happen to have a list of ingredients I should rather avoid for the food by the way?

Thanks again for helping out, hopefully I figure out something that I can buy for my puppy which has some nice quality.
Our vet said while a large breed is growing and developing he wants protein under 30%, when they are an adult higher is fine.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
If I lived in Europe, I think Farmina would be a brand at the top of my list, though it's higher protein than I prefer. This is the U.S. site, but it's made in the E.U.:

Farmina "Maxi" puppy has an "ancestral grain" option with oats and spelt that I would pick over grain-free. It also has no peas/beans, which Orijen is packed full of. They also have a lamb option, so you could rotate.

I don't love Mars' Royal Canin products, but they do have a large-breed puppy food available worldwide.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts