German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was starting to think about switching Sasha's food as she gets a bit older. She is currently 60lbs and is 23.5 inches tall. (She is only 6.5 months old) My vet said that it was up to me if I wanted to start switching her over to an adult food. She is currently eating Innova Large Breed puppy dry food.

Wanted to know what other foods out there are better than what she currently eats. I pay $53.00 for a 30lb bag of food. I have no concern with spending the money if the food is going to be better quality.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I was starting to think about switching Sasha's food as she gets a bit older. She is currently 60lbs and is 23.5 inches tall. (She is only 6.5 months old) My vet said that it was up to me if I wanted to start switching her over to an adult food. She is currently eating Innova Large Breed puppy dry food.

Wanted to know what other foods out there are better than what she currently eats. I pay $53.00 for a 30lb bag of food. I have no concern with spending the money if the food is going to be better quality.
$1.75lb would be on the high end for any kibble. Innova is a good solid brand but I really don't think its worth that much and I wouldn't pay that much for a 24/14 type food.

Fromm Gold is the same quality and a lot less money, maybe $1lb give or take. In MI, Fromm should be a snap to get.

I like Annamaet, Dr. Tim's, Red Paw, Canine Caviar at the upper end ($1 - 1.25lb) and Pro Pac, Fromm & Eagle in the middle (.75 - $1lb)

I hate to see good people waste money on dog food.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my main concern is what besides real meat in the ingredients are important once Sasha comes off Puppy food?

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
I guess my main concern is what besides real meat in the ingredients are important once Sasha comes off Puppy food?

All the ingredients are important protein, fats, fiber, carbohydrates, the vitamin & mineral mix and nutrient support ingredients like pre/probiotics/enzymes.

Al this stuff plays a role in its own way. Don't drive yourself crazy.

I use 30-32/20 formulas because I find them the most useful to me. Less food, less poop, more protein & fat.

Any quality diet around 25% protein/15% fat should be fine. The companies with actual performance experience make the best foods in my opinion. Those guys know the science the best and they make foods for the average pooch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the foods you listed above have a leading ingredient of Fish. I thought that most foods were suppose to have some type of meat (Chicken, Beef, etc..) as the first or second ingredient.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts