German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After doing a lot of research on picking out the right pup and the countless other things i feel i have a pretty good grip on things. Its a little more than i was thinking as far as the mid-night wake ups for the bathroom breaks but were both making it. I got Jake a couple days ago and he is right at 8 weeks.

He has been great so far and has great temperament with all my friends/family young and old. My concern is how much food to give him on a 3 meal a day plan or is 2 better? I was always raised just letting the dog eat whatever whenever and i realize now that my parents dog wasnt fed right (i just moved out & bought my own home) hence why i own Jake now.

I just need to know how much is to much or how little is two little. He eats the food so quick when it goes in the bowl i feel he should get more. He also loves biting my hand all the time and i let him do it till he gets me good once or twice and is this a bad habit to form? Thanks for all the help you guys are great!

Thanks, Zack & Jake

Attachments

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
At 8 weeks you better feed him 4 times a day, providing a bit havier in nutrition meals during the day. Feed exactly at the same hour daily, that is how you can predict his poop. You can start feeding him raw already. Make his main meal cottage cheese - 200 gramms a day, it is better to dilute it with drinkable yogurt. Beside, you can feed him raw chicken brest every day (farm raised chickens, never factory ones) 150 fat free beef mince twice a week, raw boneless salmon bought frozen 300 g a week. It could be good idea if you made a research and found rabbits. Rabbit meat is the best thing for puppy imaginable. Grind raw cucumber, apple, carrot, onion, pumpkin and admix one of this ingredience or in combination into meat mince.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I always thought raw salmon from the PNW was a big no no because of some fluke. Also, onions are normally one of those foods on the no-feed list as well. If feeding raw (above post), why isn't there mention of any bone??? Would personally never feed my puppy the above list - some of the items we do feed, but not the list as a whole (and yes, we feed raw).

I feed 3x a day and think that is fine. My pup also inhales her food as well. As for how much on the 3-a-day plan - just take what you would feed twice a day and make into three even meals.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Feed 3 times a day too, if your pup eats fast and you feed kibble you can add a little water to the kibble to slow him down. Are you feeding raw or is the raw advice coming out of no where? lol, if you are feeding kibble just stick to something on the bag, adjust as needed (too ribby/too pudgy)

IN MY OPINION Letting him bite your hand is okay as long as its NOT hard, I encouraged my puppy to mouth me at a young age so now she never bites hard and I can look at her teeth and mouth without her being bothered by it at all. Just be careful, it will probably be better to teach your dog to mouth a toy at that age, because your pup will mess up and get you hard, and because kids or other people might think that light mouthing is biting. Many people prefer to not let their dogs mouth them at all, and always redirect with toy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not on raw food

im not reading him raw food my mom works for purina so im using their puppy formula. I am trying to get him to use his chew toys more but the little guy just loves to come up and bite my toes and hand. Im goin to try to get him to stop doing that so much.

There has been some sleepless nights as he freaks out throughout the night in his kennel and i let him out to go to the bathroom. He still isnt potty trained yet but when i put him back in his kennel he starts to cry again. I dont want to let him out and reward him for crying so i sleep next to him and it usually makes him stop. I have a friend that lives with me and he works early so i want to help him out the best i can.

Any advise from you guys that have been here before?

·
Registered
169 Posts
When he cries in his kennel do you then move towards him and go to sleep next to him? If you know he has done all his business and he's crying just to be fussy, I've found the best thing to do is wait it out. Don't do anything that will make him think crying gets a reward. Even moving closer to his crate or talking to him is in some way rewarding. It will be really hard at first and the shrieks can be quite unpleasant but he should get the point eventually. If you keep rewarding the crying, even if in a subtle way, you will prolong the behavior. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts