German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,647 Posts
I’ll be honest, until working in a kennel, I couldn’t tell you... a couple times a year maybe. Now I try to clean their food bowls daily...especially because of the fresh foods and additives that they receive. If it’s kibble I may skip a day or two, if it’s raw I consider it mandatory.

Water bowl gets dumped and filled daily, cleaned with soap weekly (usually coincides with a raw feeding day).

·
Registered
844 Posts
I wash the food bowl with dish soap after every meal. (kibble). I don't want the leftover crumbs or odor to attract ants. Not that I have an ant problem, but I do have houseplants that I take outside in the spring and bring them back in the house in the fall. Sometimes ants find their way in with the plants. I don't have a roach problem either and I'd like to keep it that way.

The water bowl, I wash with soap maybe once a month. But I rinse his bowl several times a day when I see his water get dirty which is quite often. It's stupid I know (maybe my minor OCD pops up) but I just don't like his water to be not "clean/pure." It bothers me more than it does him when I see grass clippings, crumbs from his meals/snacks, dirt, etc. in the water.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Raw food dish after each meal. Kibble dish not as often as I should mostly because it's a plate not a bowl and seems not to get slobbery. I have a dainty kibble nibbler. Water bowl gets rinsed with each refill (2-3 times a day) and washed with soap once a day.
I use stainless steel water bowls and porcelain/china plates for food. Never plastic.

·
Super Moderator
6,647 Posts
If you fed raw twice a day you would wash the bowl twice a day?
Mmm, probably...
Although, when I used to feed raw as their sole diet - there were times that I fed on the ground/outside or in their crates and I certainly didn’t follow behind them cleaning everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts