German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there was a similar post a week or so ago, but wasn't sure if it was appropriate to piggy-back off of that one. So I started a new post.

I have a 13 week old WL GSD who has had soft stools since I brought him home. He's currently eating about 4 cups per day (maybe a little more) of Annamaet Encore. That's what the breeder was feeding.

At the first vet visit, the vet thought he saw Giardia in the stool smear. He put him on a course of metronidazole and the stools firmed up immediately. Once the course was finished however, the soft stools came right back. Took him back to the vet and they sent a stool sample out to the lab. My pup was put on a second, higher dose of metronidazole, while we waited for results. Again, stools firmed right up and went back to soft once course was complete. The lab found nothing in the stool.

So now he is on Tylan and I also added pumpkin to his meals. The stools are pretty firm now, but at the vet's suggestion, we stopped the Tylan for a couple days to see what would happen and the soft stools came back. So now back on Tylan.

I'm at the point now where I think I want to try a different food. I wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions on what to try? Or any other ides on what it could be. With all of the debates and controversies out there regarding dog food, I am not sure what to feed. In my gut I think it may be a food sensitivity. But that wouldn't explain why the stools get firm while on the meds, at least I don't think so.

The pup is very active and has a ravenous appetite, so he is not acting sick at all.

We have another vet visit this week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would agree that maybe something else is going on, and personally I would decide against using the anti-biotics continuously. Give time for his body and gut to rest and heal. Anti-biotics have their own deleterious affects on the digestive system, especially in a puppy. Get him re-tested for Giardia once you are off the anti-biotics. I would recommend a long dose of Fenbendazole, possibly in conjunction Metronidazole if he is positive for Giardia again.

I would get him on some pro-biotics, and try feeding some plain skinless baked chicken breast and rice for a few days to help calm everything down. I would re-introduce kibble slowly from that point. If you think it's a food insensitivity, maybe best to switch to a food he has never had before, for example, when I was concerned about my girls food intolerance I put her on Victor Salmon (Grain-free) and then Victor Ocean Fish (not grain-free), both of which she did good on.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds kind of similar to what we were going through. Ended up trying The Honest Kitchen and probiotics and so far, it has really worked when other foods (kibble) were causing loose stools/diarrhea.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Again, anytime I hear loose stools in an active pup my first thought is over feeding. Here is a really simple test. Fast for 12 hours or so, only water. No treats, no food. Then small, 1/4 cup, meals about 3 hours apart for 24 hours.

·
Registered
923 Posts
When my dog was a pup and he had runny stools, I second Sabis mom: he was fed too much (other than the possibility for bacteria etc). After a USD150 trip to the vet thay revealed nothing, I learnt that my dog has a bit of a sensitive stomach. Now whenever his stools aren't so great my saving grace is 2 tbs of canned pumpkin. That does the trick everytime for my dog.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I am dealing with the same thing. Loose stool in my now 12 wk old puppy. A week ago the vet put her on metronidazole and Hills I/D kibble. Stool finally firmed up so I got the go ahead to slowly go back to the PPP I was feeding. Last night I threw in a small handful of the PPP. My pup had awful gas and poop got loose again. So I am not going to transition back to PPP. I was thinking of trying the Royal Canin German Shepherd Puppy a try. Will see how that goes. It really is frustrating.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Yeast can aggravate a sensitive gut.

The Annamaet you are using (and some of the other foods mentioned) contain Yeast.

Read labels carefully.

I vote for The Honest Kitchen DEHYDRATED food. A little expensive.....but well worth it for a dog with gut issues. THK has helped MANY dogs with gut issues!

BRAVE: Limited Ingredients Fish: Dehydrated - Limited Ingredient Fish Recipe (Brave) Has consistency of cooked oatmeal. I personally use more water than is called for in preparation.

Over 75% of the immune system lies in the gut. ProBiotic's are extremely important for a dog who is on antibiotics!
Antibiotic's kill the "good" bacteria in the gut.

Give ProBiotic's at least 2 hours away from Antibiotics.

There are many probiotic's on the market. The following are very high quality:
Sunday Sundae https://feedsentials.com/sundaysundae (click on the email to order)
Gut Sense GutSense - Certified Organic Probiotic for Dogs - Dr. Dobias Natural Healing
WholeBiotic: Wholistic WholeBiotic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts