German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="color: #CC33CC"> Below is the ingredient for the food that we are currently feeding Rocky. There is also a puppy formula. Which would be a better choice for them? I listed the protein and other information below the ingredient. The puppy on is listed first.</span>

Lamb meal, ground rice, ground whole wheat, rolled oats, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried egg product, lamb digest, tomato pomace, flax seed, potassium chloride, salt, vitamins [vitamin E supplement, l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), inositol, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta carotene, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement], choline chloride, minerals [zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], yucca schidigera extract, rosemary extract.

Crude protein (min.) 25%, crude fat (min.) 15%, crude fiber (max.) 4.5%, moisture (max.) 10%, iron (min.) 200 mg/kg, copper (min.) 10 mg/kg, zinc (min.) 150 mg/kg, selenium (min.) 0.5 mg/kg, vitamin E (min.) 125 iu/kg, beta carotene* (min.) 6 mg/kg.

Crude protein (min.) 20%, crude fat (min.) 10%, crude fiber (max.) 4%, moisture (max.) 10%, iron (min.) 200 mg/kg, copper (min.) 10 mg/kg, zinc (min.) 150 mg/kg, selenium (min.) 0.4 mg/kg, vitamin E (min.) 125 iu/kg, beta carotene* (min.) 5 mg/kg.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Unless the package specifically says "formulated for large breed puppies" I would recommend that you choose the adult version.

ordinary puppy chows aren't the best choice for a GSD pup. The extra calories, protein, calcium can make bones grow too quickly. They will get all they need in the adult kibble.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
In this case I would go with the puppy formula. The adult formula is very low in protein and fat and IMO would cause the puppy to either not grow properly OR to eat more food than needed and cause and over abundance of minerals that can damage bone growth.....

Go with the puppy formula in this case.

Cherri

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a supplement or something extra I can give to the puppy to help him get the extra protein and fat?

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a large breed puppy formula in the same food. 22% protein and Crude fat is 10%.

We only did a puppy food for Rocky for about 3 months because we did not want him to grow to fast. I am wondering if that was the cause of his pano. Really dont want to have the same problem with Apollo if at all possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts