German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my mya will be a yr at the end of this month and her behavior is making me nervous.

Every dog gets excited to eat but latley when I feed her(in her crate) she pokes her head out and up at me and gives me a look that terrifies me. She has also done this to my husband. As a pup and as she has grown I have played with her while she has eaten and can actually take the food right out of her mouth and hand it back to her. So this is a caution flag waving around at me.

Also we have two young children and another dog. And kids like snacks. When one of my children have some food item in their hand she will attack my other dog to get her away. Before yesturday she had never done it really close to either one of my children. When she did it yesturday,at first I thought she actually had gotten my daughter. Well she fought off the other dog who was standing feet away and in the confusion,did take the food out of my daughters hand wich left her crying.

Both of my dogs get fed and can't possible be hungry so why the food agression. Now her agression is not only worse but spreading into other areas of things. If anyone could help me that would be great. Cause now I am starting to get worried. Having an agressive dog is not an option at our house. And my husband hates her more and more as each day passes. Which i think could be adding on to it.

Mya gets daily exercise and we play games during the day and I make her work for a treat. So I am lost.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
First, I would make vet appointment to check for any mouth issues or parasites. If everything checks out okay there, I would start with some very serious training.

NILF!! Great stuff

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

First on the list would be having the dog on a tab leash in the house then the "leave it" command, when anyone has food in their hands and the dog approaches them, a small leash correction a leave it command and then a treat. Sit stays and down stays can also be a great help.

I would also not allow the children to walk around the house with food in their hands until you have this issue under control.

Food aggresion is a problem that can be fixed with time and patients. Hand feeding and then slowly working back up to letting the dog eat out of a bowl while you add extra yummy treats while the dog is enjoying dinner.

http://www.dogproblemsolutions.com/how_stop_dog_food_aggression.php

The most important thing to remember when trying to train a dog is consistency, have a plan and follow through.

I would also see if you can find a trainer and join and OB class, having a dog that has a solid OB base can make life much easier.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Originally Posted By: acurajaneEvery dog gets excited to eat but latley when I feed her(in her crate) she pokes her head out and up at me and gives me a look that terrifies me. She has also done this to my husband.
Can you explain this a bit better - maybe you need to take her out of the crate prior to feeding her and make her sit/drop and put the food in her crate, then release her into the crate to her food so she associates her obedience to getting fed.

Quote:As a pup and as she has grown I have played with her while she has eaten and can actually take the food right out of her mouth and hand it back to her. So this is a caution flag waving around at me.
Maybe the messing around with her food has made her feel anxious about whether she would be fed or it would be removed and made her more possessive of her food.

Quote:Also we have two young children and another dog. And kids like snacks. When one of my children have some food item in their hand she will attack my other dog to get her away. Before yesturday she had never done it really close to either one of my children. When she did it yesturday,at first I thought she actually had gotten my daughter. Well she fought off the other dog who was standing feet away and in the confusion,did take the food out of my daughters hand wich left her crying.

Both of my dogs get fed and can't possible be hungry so why the food agression. Now her agression is not only worse but spreading into other areas of things.
Crate both dogs when the kids have food/snacks. It will reduce the competition and make both dogs realise that the children come before them. I also think your girl is maturing and sees an opportunity to dominate the other dog which you have to take control of before it escalates. I cannot advise you further but I hope I have given you a starting point. All the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts