German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is Falken's 2nd day home and everything has been going really well, except, Roxie has suddenly become food aggressive. I feed her first but if Falken comes near me while I'm preparing the food Roxie snaps and growls at him. Even if he comes near her food container she growls. Don't really think she'd hurt him but don't want to take any chances. Should I let them sort it out (while keeping close watch) or can someone give me some tips on how to handle this?

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
Roxie is trying to set boundaries...I would correct her, you are in charge. I would feed them seperately, maybe Falken in his crate.
Don't let them sort it out, you may end up at the vet. BTW~Falken is adorable!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks onyx, I do feed them separately, but Falken is doing that "velcro puppy thing" and follows me everywhere. I can keep Falken away from Roxie's feeding but figure that eventually they'll have to deal with each other around food so am just trying to figure out the best way to do that. I am correcting Roxie but wasn't sure if I should be or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your problem is something that all of us who have more than one dog in the house have to deal with. First, DO NOT let them sort it out! A friend of mine lost his puppy in a situation like that: Puppy went to see what an older male was doing and stick his head too close while it was eating... It took only 1/2 second and the puppy was dead. What I´m saying is that you can´t control this things, your not fast enough.

I think that Roxie doesen´t understand that she´s doing something wrong because that kind of behavior is totally natural and justified in nature. If you´ve seen some documents about wild animals eating as a pack, you´ll notice that that kind of aggressive behavior is the only way how they sort out how´s eating first or last. I mean, no pack leader can set them in a line to wait for their turn...

Ofcourse you shouldn´t give up your leadership, if you don´t like them fighting while your making their food you have to teach them to calm down and for example put the baby in his crate and Roxie waiting under command (lie down, sit etc.). This way you´ll make sure that eating doesen´t become bigger issue than it really is. Change doesen´t happen in one night but as a owner of four dogs (3 males and 1 female), I strongly recommend you to put some energy in this... I can feed all my dogs side by side and they are not fighting or growling, because it´s not allowed...

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Originally Posted By: Kujo FINI strongly recommend you to put some energy in this... I can feed all my dogs side by side and they are not fighting or growling, because it´s not allowed...
While admirable, this is just not necessary. There are battles I am willing to fight, and there are others I'm not. This is one I'm not willing to fight as I gain nothing from it. I feed my female in her crate and my male in the kitchen. I would feed my male in a crate too but he eats so fast I don't need to. I will not, however, allow any aggression while I am preparing the food. Control that and back your female off of correcting the puppy for being close to you while you prepare food.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You probably misunderstood me.. I didn´t mean that Sam should teach his dogs to eat side by side, but to teach them to calm down and wait obedient.

My example was only to encourage Sam that if he wants, he can solve this problem and even go a pit further.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I separate during feedings as well. Two of mine are fine together and one is aggressive.

My dogs know their feeding times after I let them out in the morning to potty my grumpy female goes right into the living room and I shut the gate, where she waits for her dinner.

To me it's not worth the potential fight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. The situation is getting better, they're getting more used to each other. I make Roxie sit while preparing the food and keep the puppy at a distance. I give Roxie her food first and then feed Falken in another room. When Falken goes sniffing around Roxie I put him in a sit a few feet away and crouch next to him and let Roxie finish eating so she gets used to him being around. She now lets him lick her bowl when she's done so that's a good sign! I will continue feeding them separately and place myself between them until all signs of aggression are gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts