German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a male GSD who will be 2 next week, I also have 2 mixed breeds. One 8 yr. old male(gsd/lab mix) and one 1.5 yr. old female.(not sure what she is)Well up until 4 months ago I would feed everyone separately, until my husband decided to try feeding altogether.(while I was away)I guess it has been fine until today. Everyone was finished and the 8 yr. old was slowly walking by and got a snip from my GSD! I was right there and grabbed him and told him NO!! Then I don't know if this made matters worse but, I took some food with the 2 of them and let the 8yr. old eat out of his bowl, then the 2 yr. old. I thought all was fine. I walked away and my gsd went after the 8 yr. old. Again, I was not far, so I grabbed him and told him NO, and in the crate he went. Please help, did I do something wrong?

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Feeding dogs together in groups is just asking for this sort of situation.

The only way to make it work is to keep several feet of space between them, and make each dog wait at it's bowl until all the dogs are done eating. Guarding food from other dogs is a natural behavior, and a dog walking around nearby, even if it's not showing interest in another's food, can easily provoke a guarding reaction.

Personally, I would simply eliminate the potential for conflict by feeding them separately. Either in crates, or in separate areas of the house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts