German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog Duke has always been fine eating around our other dog since we've gotten him. Now recently he has started to act crazy when its food time. He won't eat his food until he checks out her food and she even looks at him or moves he lunges at her and starts going after and he continues this for atleast 15 minutes after they've eaten. I've tried seperating them and he still wont eat his food just throws a fit whining barking knocking his food over wanting to get to her food. He'll finally eat after he finds out shes dont but if she even goes near the place he ate at he'll go after her again and shes a 90 pound rottweiler twice his size HELP!!!!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
ok, calm down. I want you to list for me on this topic, exactly the behaviour duke is showing. How are his walks? Playtime? What games do you play? How old is he? neutured? Where did you receive him? List 4 good things about him and 4 bad things.

This will be easier for me to properly give you advice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's a pretty excited dog 80% of the time the other he sleeps. But this just started. It's like he thinks our other dog is out to get his food or something but she's nice she stays very calm and tries to avoid the situation but he flat out goes after her foor just moving. He likes fetch but thats about it he likes to mainly play by himself. Walks our horrible. I have to get up at % so that no neighbors or anyone are up and he pulls me for the first ten then he calms down when he sees no one is out. But if there is someone he immediately lunges after them barking ( excitedly not aggressively) but calms down once they stop or are far enough away. He chases everything that moves too fast including my three kids. Not neutered he's still recovering from his leg amputation 2 months ago that ended up ulcerating and hes very active on it causing it to not be healed all the way yet so they want me to wait. He's 7 months now. Very sweet and loving dog if he knows and trusts you we rescued him from a very abusive home.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You literally got the same dog I have-but shenzi was a biter when we got her. Never punctures, just bruises. She's not mouthy anymore. After 5 months Shenzi is no longer this-but she still has issues with strangers. We continue to work everyday on this.
My suggestion to you is to not feel bad for him because he no longer has a leg. He doesn't know he doesn't have a leg-I guarantee it.
I would start by getting a prong collar. How to fit a Prong Collar.
Do not allow him to pull you anymore. When he pulls, go the other way. No need to yank at him, but turn around and keep going. You'll look lost, and drunken, but who cares what others think?
You really need to start NILF. I was lucky and was able to get friends-strangers to the dog help me with training. They would come and throw treats at her from a distance and gradually(read days/weeks) get closer, and then we moved onto meeting pure strangers on walks with lots of treats.
Spend lots of time draining dukes energy. Shenzi was much more compliant and 'willing to learn' how to be social after a rigorous tug of war game.
This will take time, trust me. But hes a diamond in the rough and you'll be fine. Get a trainer, and get to it!
:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i will definately try that on walks though he is bigger than me so i guarantee I'll look alot worse than a lost drunk lol but thank you for your advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts