German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the time I brought my pup home I taught her to "wait" for food, mostly meaning when I bring her bowl into sight she doesn't jump up and knock it out of my hand, and it has never been a problem before but here recently she is food aggressive, she stands with a wide body over her bowl, eats quickly and if you walk by or try to move her bowl (she has a habit of moving it while she is eating) she would bite down in the bowl harder, she's done this more often as she's gotten a little older despite me reading and trying tips to break this.

Then my fiance fed her the other morning and she bit down into the bowl and started growling, she doesn't growl at me but she still acts protective over her food.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
942 Posts
That really doesn't sound like food agression to me but you should teach her to "wait" so that she is in a sit or down and you put the food in the bowl in front of her and she can't go eat until you release her!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the only time whatsoever that she shows any aggression, making my assumption from that.

The wait, she is in a sitting position. I've put food in, in front of her and she lunges.
That really doesn't sound like food agression to me but you should teach her to "wait" so that she is in a sit or down and you put the food in the bowl in front of her and she can't go eat until you release her!

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
You're making too big of a deal over feeding time and causing your pup to feel anxious.Have the food pre prepared,have her sit/wait while you set it down,then leave her alone.A boot tray or rubber placemat will keep the bowl from sliding around.
After a few days/weeks when she seems calmer walk by just once and toss in a bit of cheese or chicken and keep right on walking.Always give, NEVER take.
If you want to work on a leave it command use lower value treats to start and build up slowly from there.There's no point in aggravating a dog at mealtime.Many folks simply feed their dogs in their crate and never worry about food guarding.

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Just curious, how old is your puppy? What are you feeding her? And how much? How often?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
From the time I brought my pup home I taught her to "wait" for food, mostly meaning when I bring her bowl into sight she doesn't jump up and knock it out of my hand, and it has never been a problem before but here recently she is food aggressive, she stands with a wide body over her bowl, eats quickly and if you walk by or try to move her bowl (she has a habit of moving it while she is eating) she would bite down in the bowl harder, she's done this more often as she's gotten a little older despite me reading and trying tips to break this.

Then my fiance fed her the other morning and she bit down into the bowl and started growling, she doesn't growl at me but she still acts protective over her food.

Am I doing something wrong?

First of all a dish with a rubber bottom will help with the sliding around, or use a rubber boot tray as someone else suggested.
Second, you fussing around her at feeding time sounds like it's making her bolt her food. This can cause bloat. Stay away while she is eating.
If it was me I would feed her in her crate, at least for now, and work on a leave it command. Alternately you can start hand feeding if you must.
Understand that food=survival. I see a lot more of this type of behavior out of larger litters, but my Shadow would scream the house down at feeding time as soon as she smelled food and she was the only pup there. Lol.
I always started puppies with hand feeding since a large number of rescues end up in homes with small kids. I would put the dish in my lap and basically scoop the food up and let them eat out of my hand. Never used it as a training thing and never made them wait, the idea was to associate me, specifically my hands with good not bad. I have never had an issue with food aggression. And my kids could sit with their hands in the dishes and have the dogs eat around their fingers. My big guy was a bit dicey with food so he ate in his crate and I worked on a leave it command. I never took his dish away I made him leave it first. AND when I gave it back there was an extra yummy in it. The couple of times I had to remove things from his mouth I did so quickly and with no issues, then rewarded him heavily for allowing me to retain all my fingers. Lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts