German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a female Pit Bull ( will be turning 8 years old next month) and I want to teach her how to focus heel. She sort of does it already with her favorite toy. She will walk on the right next to be on the opposite side of the toy. I have the toy in my left hand and she is walking on the right side of me, staring into my eyes. I didn't teach her anything to do with focus heel in her life, she just did it on her own. She is so toy driven that she will walk by other people and dogs while I have the toy in my hand or its in her mouth and she is following me without skipping a beat. She will chase and fetch the toy into the water all day if I let her hahah

I also plan on getting a GDS in the near future. So my question is : is the Michael Ellis "Focused heel" DVD worth the money ?

I want to learn how to do REAL dog training with my dog. I feel bad because I fell for the whole Cesar Millan alpha human dominance abusive techniques and didn't know any better :crying: I have all of his books and DVDs ( I feel like burning them now) and "trained" more like scared my dogs into what they are today. I want to learn how to do positive training. I have started doing some positive treat training and have seen alot of improvement in her !!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Fenzi Dog Sports Acadamy is offering heeling class this term and registration is still open:

https://fenzidogsportsacademy.com/index.php/courses/1995#course-details

There are many many training sources out there. The more ways you know how to train a certain behavior the more tools you have to use if something isn't working and the better your understanding is. There is no one right way to train a dog.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I love Micheal Ellis. Not only is he a great dog trainer he is a super people trainer. I would start with his training with food DVD then go on to the focused healing. Around Black Friday they have great sales.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts