German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on a mission this summer to find more trails and remote camping spots for weekend outings. The weather has been pretty weird lately, but we made it out for a quick solo trip last weekend. Success. Husband was on call and the big dog stayed home to keep him company.... so it was just me and my little sable girl.

Things are finally greening up.

We had a (relatively) short hike in, from a not-too-distant parking area. Just far enough to get away from day hikers and noise.

The weather was weird, with random bursts of rain and thunder all weekend. So I set up a tarped foyer where we could get out of the rain and dry wet stuff. I think she approved.

Thumbs up to @thehonestkitchen 's food. Bowl was licked clean, and it did save some weight & bulk vs. bringing in dry food.

The best part of the weekend was quietly enjoying a campfire, when the rain let up. This dog just cracks me up.... I think she's pretty content in the woods.

After going on several trips last year and over the winter, her tent manners are just about perfect. How could you possibly wake up in a bad mood, with this little face peering into your sleeping bag?

All packed up on the last morning, ready to go home.

It was a beautiful weekend, I hope we're lucky enough to enjoy many more this summer.

·
Super Moderator
6,360 Posts
Sounds fun and relaxing!Love your pictures.So serene.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Looks like so much fun! She is beautiful, how old? My dogs LOVE hiking (as I'm sure most dogs do).. Haven't been able to camp yet.. Hopefully soon.

·
Super Moderator
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A girls weekend - she is beautiful! You are pretty brAve camping solo!

It's probably not for everyone, but if you enjoy solitude (with the company of good dogs, of course) it's a wonderful way to spend a few days.

Looks like so much fun! She is beautiful, how old? My dogs LOVE hiking (as I'm sure most dogs do).. Haven't been able to camp yet.. Hopefully soon.
She just turned 1! It's crazy how quickly they transform from adorable fuzzy little monsters into these athletic adults.... Happy Trails to you, and everyone, this summer. :)

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I admire your grit, tent camping. Looks beautiful, do you camp in the UP? We love it up there, although I love our tiny camper.

·
Super Moderator
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I admire your grit, tent camping. Looks beautiful, do you camp in the UP? We love it up there, although I love our tiny camper.
Absolutely - the UP is beautiful. Unfortunately it's quite a drive from where I live, so I'm lucky if I can make it up there once a year. I'm hoping to get up to Hiawatha National Forest late this fall or winter. Any favorite spots you care to share?

I won't lie, if Santa brought me a tiny camper, I probably wouldn't complain.... :grin2:

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Looks like a fun & peaceful trip! We have a camper, but I'm not thrilled about it, too much prep and maintenance. My wife won't go without it, but my kids are fine with tent camping, we went last weekend as well and had fun, much cooler in the mountains too.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The Porcupine mountains are beautiful, and on the right side of the state for you. The Lake of the Clouds is a beautiful place. I really like the Michigan state parks. For tent people who want a change they have yurts in the Porkies. Copper Harbor is very nice, we always go to Horse Shoe Bay, always isolated and the dogs can swim to their hearts content.

·
Super Moderator
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Porcupine mountains are beautiful, and on the right side of the state for you. The Lake of the Clouds is a beautiful place. I really like the Michigan state parks. For tent people who want a change they have yurts in the Porkies. Copper Harbor is very nice, we always go to Horse Shoe Bay, always isolated and the dogs can swim to their hearts content.
Arrggg I was so excited about planning a late winter yurt snowshoe, but it looks like dogs aren't allowed. Bummer. Guess we'll be in our good ol' faithful tent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts