German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my pup soon (about 4-5 weeks) and I am moving from MA to CA the first week of August. He will be about 6 months old by then. I just realized that it will be hot during that time and a lot of airlines don't fly pets due to the temperature risk. So first off, what airlines take special care of your pet (making sure cargo is pressurized and temp controlled and all that stuff) and how can I make sure my pup will be safe? First off, I'd probably want to travel over night so its nice and cool and be on a single flight without connectors right? Anything else? Price isn't an issue really since this is the safety of my pup. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The belly of the planes are all presssurized, the temp issue is due to the time spent on the tarmack on both ends. They can be out there awhile...especially if it's a delayed flight.

Direct flights are best but most direct flights are on the smaller MD80 which has a 90L feet rule. A 6 month old male will probably not fit in that size crate and still meet ther guidelines. Any bigger crate has to go cargo and most have layovers. Having said that you are flying across the country so you might find a bigger plane that can carry a bigger crate.

American has what is called Parcel Priority in which they only have to be there an hour early verses 2 hours early on other flights. I don't think Delta or Contiental have this but you would need to verify. Pet Airways would be best to fly but they are limted on airports now and slowly ramping up. I would check their website to see if they have any routes close to what you are looking for. (They fly in cabin).

If you are driving yourself, I would just take him with you. If that's not an option then check out the flights. I've had to do it but I never like it.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I know that Continental is very good at flying dogs. Not sure how it would work if your dog is flying with you, but when shipping dogs, they keep them in a heated or air-conditioned indoor area until it is time to load them. The crates are transported out in a van, (heated or air/conditioned), to avoid being out in the cold/hot sun. I don't think I've heard anything bad about Continental, but lots of horror stories about Delta.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm getting my pup soon (about 4-5 weeks) and I am moving from MA to CA the first week of August.
As a current resident of California.... WHY on earth would you want to move here? Everyone I know with the means to do it are trying to get OUT of this state... It's literally collapsing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a current resident of California.... WHY on earth would you want to move here? Everyone I know with the means to do it are trying to get OUT of this state... It's literally collapsing.
haha I feel like residents of any state say that about their own state. Well the real answer to that question is that my fiancee is just about to finish up her masters degree in organic chemistry at Northeastern University and she just got accepted into Stanford University's PhD program. Just something we can't pass up! I run my own business so I can basically work from wherever, but the hours will stay the same (east coast time) since that is where my clients are, so I'll have some early mornings for the next 5 or so years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts