German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had so much fun! A couple of shots of Halo hanging out in my chair looking cute during our down time:

We did a 10 AM and 2 PM demo in this hall. It was very loud, and tight quarters with the crowd right on top of us. There were some bleachers at the other end too, behind where I stood to take this picture:

We also did a noon demo in the main ring of the Cow Palace, and the GG Kennel Club posted this video on their FB page - my club Silver Streaks is in the right lane, with Halo, Voodoo, Ruffian, and Ruckus:

https://www.facebook.com/SilverStreaksFlyballTeam/posts/764436363720344

Bay Racers flyball club sets this demo up every year, and they have a new puppy that I'm looking forward to watching race in the future. He's a 3 month old black GSD named North:

·
Super Moderator
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
She has a HUGE personality! Bay Racers sets up this demo every year and they do a great job. The focus is on having fun and entertaining the crowd, safety, and not setting back the training of any dog, so they stress that if your dog is listed for anything you don't want them to do, just skip it. Some of the dogs would be freaked out by the main ring, so those dogs were just left in crates in the back hall.

They handed out a schedule for all of us, and we took our dogs outside right before the demo while the announcer talked about the sport. Then we ran inside in two lines, one for each lane, handed our dogs off at the box and did a recall over the jumps while the announcer introduced each dog.

Then they did 4 or 5 heats of 4 dog teams, just like in a tournament, did some stuff with the green dogs who are still in training then some pairs racing, and another 4 or 5 heats of 4 dog teams. After that they brought out the puppies who just did some recalls, and then asked for volunteer kids from the audience who wanted to race against a dog. They pulled the jumps in one lane and the kids had to run to the box and take a ball handed to them by the box loader and run back, while a dog did a full run in the other lane. They'd hold the dog back to give the kids a head start. Last year Halo was one of the dogs that raced a kid, but Bay Racers had enough solid dogs of their own that they didn't need any extra.

Halo was in the last group of team racing, so I kept her out for awhile since I wasn't needed for anything, and a guy came over to ask me if I'd ever dislocated my shoulder, lol. She hits the tug pretty hard, and although she's a "little" GSD at barely 55 pounds, she's a big dog in flyball terms. There was a short runback area, much less than there would be in a tournament, so I had to stop short and then swing her around to absorb the shock. He also commented that she was beautiful. :)

What's most fun about things like this is to be able to interact with the crowd and talk about our sport. Many tournaments have few if any spectators, and we had tons.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
She looks like the star of the show sitting in the director's chair.
Wow, you performed in the Cow Palace, fantastic! Were you nervous?

·
Super Moderator
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She looks like the star of the show sitting in the director's chair.
Wow, you performed in the Cow Palace, fantastic! Were you nervous?
I actually wasn't. We did participate in last years demo so I knew what to expect, but I don't recall being nervous then either. If it were all about *me*, I would definitely have been! I'm a shy person and would never just walk up to a stranger and start a conversation, but I love talking to people about flyball because most have never even heard of it before and have lots of questions. Even at tournaments when I'm not in the ring I'll go up to people watching from the sidelines and ask them if they've ever seen flyball before and explain the sport to them.

The focus was on the dogs, which kinda takes any pressure off the people, and even if the dogs mess up that just makes it more entertaining for the crowd. But Halo is super solid, one of our club's bombproof dogs and I have complete confidence in her ability to do her job and run clean, so we just went out there and she did her thing! Tournaments can actually be stressful because it matters - we try to win heats and place in our division, and we want the dogs to run clean with no early passes so they earn the most possible points. Demos are like all the fun of flyball without any of the stress of worrying about doing everything perfectly.

Looks like an adrenaline filled day!!!! You must be very proud of your gorgeous and very talented Halo!!!!
I am, she is awesome, and a fantastic first flyball dog! I hope my next flyball dog is as good because training her was really easy and now I'm spoiled.

·
Registered
65 Posts
That cute black pup in the yellow harness had me chuckling for quite some time. What a cutie pie!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts