German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odin had his first flyball tournament this weekend. Odin has only been doing flyball for a few months and has only had around 10 team practices. I am completely blown away just by the fact that he not only kept it together at the tournament, he ran full time sharing the starting position (which means he runs more, due to false starts.) Other than a couple of fumbles on saturday, he ran flawlessly. He had an amazing box turn all weekend, with all four feet on the box and both box loaders said they could barely feel him hit the box (they said the 30 pound border collie was hitting harder than him.) In starting position he was consistently running 4.2 seconds and with passes he was running 4.3's and 4.4's!!! I am so incredibly proud of my boy:) PLUS as an added bonus both of the teams we brought to the tournament WON their division BOTH days!

He also got his flyball dog champion title and was just generally an awesome dog all weekend. The tournament was 5 hours away and he was a total joy to travel with and a gentleman in the hotel room with my team mates 3 dogs. Overall it was a totally awesome weekend.

I know that there was some video taken, just waiting for my team mate to hopefully post it on youtube.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
congrats!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Woohoo! Are you hooked? We had a tournament too this weekend about 6 hours away. Poor Nikon had to share a room with two baby puppies and two yappy Mini Aussies, lol.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was super fun and I REALLY like my team, just an awesome group we have a lot of fun together. Odin loved it! It's kinda like the fun and excitement of bite work without all the control and boring stuff lol. One of the judges got a serous kick out of Odin's perfect bark and hold on me while on the line haha. You can tell he feels all cocky and full of himself after racing. He got to share the room with three girls, he sure wasn't complaining about that!

(I'm still far more addicted to agility though;))

·
Super Moderator
32,420 Posts
That is fantastic, big congrats! :happyboogie:

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
LOL the judges here always pick on me and say "can't you shut him up?" The thing is, I'd rather listen to Nikon's loud, rhythmic barking all day than the shrieking screaming little dogs! He barks nonstop the entire time we're on the mats but not while he's actually running toward the box.

·
Super Moderator
32,420 Posts
Halo starts screaming as soon as we line up, but most of the other dogs are barking too, so nobody has ever said anything about it. In her first tournament we were lined up right behind the judge who was actually smiling at her enthusiasm, lol. Fortunately, once I let her go she doesn't bark at all, and she NEVER barks in her crate, so I can't complain too much about the screaming.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used to work on increasing duration, position etc of the bark and hold with Odin at home. So now when he's REALLY excited its kind of a default behaviour. He barks at my face until I cue him that he's about to run. I am sure that to a lot of people he looks pretty mean lol. Our team is pretty noisy, at least he's not the only making noise! He is also quiet and calm waiting on the side line for our race to start and is quiet and calm in his kennel. Although one time on the start line he did he a little over excited, misjudged and kind of bit my neck/face, not hard but he did get a talking to from me about that;)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I took Nikon out two races early this weekend and let him bark for about 10 minutes straight because I'm trying to increase his stamina for a hold and bark in SchH, lol! He used to be quiet waiting but not anymore. He is quiet in the kennel though so I can't complain. His barking is the same at flyball or doing protection and I've had several box loaders (not on our team) act very reluctant to hold him for run backs so now I send him myself from the second jump to turn and then haul butt to beat him back.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Awesome! Congratulations!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts