German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well at about 1100 I was about to leave to do some work for someone and noticed a lump on Ze'eva's right hip. She seemed to be walking fine, I touched it and pressed on it some and she didn't mind so it didn't seem to be hurting her but for sure was not supposed to be there...

I immediately leave to the vet and get there and was able to get in for an appointment at 1300 instead of paying 75 dollars extra to be seen immediately. So I show up at 1300 and the vet takes a look and has no idea what it is, she takes her to another vet for another opinion and she is unsure also so they decide to aspirate with a small needle to see what is inside of it. A light red fluid comes out which isn't bad she said and then takes it to view under a microscope. From the cytology it just showed normal crenated red blood cells and occasional white cells and no visible bacteria.

The vet said it should go away within a few days and she should be forced to take it as easy as possible for a puppy. No playing with Izzy for the rest of the week and lots of rest for her.

On a good note she is growing well and is pretty far above the average size and weight for a GSD her age. She is sitting at 41lbs at 18.2 weeks old. Her heart rate is really good and I was told she is in extremely good shape.

Not what I planned on today though I did want to take her in for a fun visit and get her weight today but didn't want the crazy vet bill for 30 minutes of examination time.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lump suspected from a tooth or something piercing the skin when playing rough with my other dog. The tooth caused "trauma" or something caused the trauma while playing in the yard and the bodies reaction was to fill the area with fluid for some reason. Think of a knee or another joint filling with fluid after an injury and it is close to the same thing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My female puppy had the same thing happen in her cheek after she was bitten in the face. The vet initially thought it was an infection developing despite antibiotics she was on... it got so large so quick that we were draining it daily for about a week. It finally stopped filling itself so much and slowly went away on its own.
I would just keep an eye on it and be sure it doesn't develop into an infection and I think she'll be fine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gladly the vet said it doesn't need to be drained and will go away on its own... She said she wanted to avoid anything of the sort on a puppy if needed and there was no reason why within about it week it wouldn't just be absorbed by the body and disappear if she is made to take it easy.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My female puppy had the same thing happen in her cheek after she was bitten in the face. The vet initially thought it was an infection developing despite antibiotics she was on... it got so large so quick that we were draining it daily for about a week. It finally stopped filling itself so much and slowly went away on its own.
I would just keep an eye on it and be sure it doesn't develop into an infection and I think she'll be fine.
this may sound like a stupid question, but has everyone noticed how quick vets are to prescribe antibiotics? Personally I hate killing off all the good gut bacteria in my dog unless I am forced to kicking and screaming :)

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Glad she's ok....A dog that a had years back took a tooth during play and the same thing happened about a week later. Hope she's not to mad at you for the down time LOL!
She is a big girl, Blitz was only 34lbs at 19 weeks! (she did have cocida though which we JUST cleared up, so I'm sure she'll make it up now!)

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
That sounds like the description of a hematoma. A hematoma is a space under the skin filled with blood, and is usually something that happens due to any kind of trauma, such as running into something, another dog biting, etc. (People get them, too ... they're called bruises when they're small but can get to be like "blood blisters", as well.)

Most of the time, a hematoma isn't a big deal and the fluid is absorbed back into the body naturally and it heals. An ear hematoma may require surgery to put a drain in as it may cause the ear to flop. If you just drain it with a needle, it tends to re-fill. (Abby had an ear hematoma from playing with another dog.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I am not worried about it in the slightest. Ze'eva has full energy, doesn't care if you touch or push on it and doesn't even seem to notice it is there. She can walk fine and all seems well. I was more worried about it then she was :p Just have to keep her from playing with Izzy this week to let it heal and not get aggravated. Just means more and longer walks for Ze'eva lol.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would say hematoma as well..glad she'll be ok

1 - 10 of 10 Posts