German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local news currently warning of the canine flu in CT and rec the vaccine. Aside from rabies, I am leery of most vaccines that are promoted. Is there just one specific vaccine for this flu and what are your feelings about getting this for your dog?

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
It depends on your lifestyle. If your dog stays at home and doesn't go anywhere interacting with other dogs, your risk is low. If your dog goes to boarding, dog parks, play care, events, pet food stores, etc., you have higher risk as it's contracted from other dogs through the air. Most boarding facilities require it, so you can't avoid it if you need to go out of town and leave your dogs there.

Canine flu is a serious -- but not usually deadly -- respiratory virus. It resembles kennel cough but lasts for about 3 weeks. Most dogs clear it on their own...HOWEVER a minority of them do get pneumonia from it. That's potentially deadly and likely requires ICU treatment in a clinic with an O2 crate to save the dog.

Make the decision based on your risk of exposure, and your dog's health history. Dogs with other underlying issues that make them weaker worry me me a lot more for things like this. There are two strains of canine flu in the US, and the current vaccine covers both.

FWIW, my dogs have to be vaccinated because of boarding, and we've not seen any adverse reactions (even in my elderly dog or my GI-compromised dog who is sensitive to the lots of stuff). YMMV.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Mine are given the flu vaccine due to occasional boarding and it seems to be a mild vaccine. I only give kennel cough IF we are boarding and at the time of boarding.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
There is an epidemic in North Jersey. I wouldn't bring my pup into the vet. Had his second round of shots done in the back of my truck. The epidemic is parainfluenza. Check with your vet, our vet is saying the dogs who have recently been vacinated with flu vaccine are the ones getting sick.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Well, there's no cross immunity between canine flu and parainfluenza. Canine flu and parainfluenza are not the same thing...so I wouldn't expect dogs who had a canine flu vax to be protected against it If they're getting the flu vax because they're more likely to be exposed through a dog-social lifestyle, then they're going to be exposed to other things too! I'd bet they're at risk of getting whatever's circulating that they're not protected against (through vax or natural immunity) -- so if they got a flu vax but not a parainfluenza vax, and the para is the one that's circulating at boarding kennels, dog parks, and pet supply stores, then it's para they'll get.

https://sheltermedicine.vetmed.ufl.edu/shelter-services/tools-tips-fact-sheets/canine-influenza/

FWIW, some bordetella vaccines have a parainfluenza component as it's a common cause of kennel cough. The commonly used intranasal Nobivac Intra-Trac3 is an example -- but it doesn't cover canine flu. Boarding places usually require a bordetella vax every 6 months (or sometimes annually) too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts