German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pulled a WGSD puppy out of a nearby Animal Control, one of the inmates that worked there called him a "Florida Shepherd". I asked him what he meant and he said "that's what they call the white ones and the yellow ones". Ok consider the source first of all but I am curious if anyone else has heard this term.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Florida shepherd? I've had WGSDs since 1973, thought I heard them all, but that's a new one on me.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Well, I have 3 Florida Shepherds all born in this area. One is a B/T and two are sables. Never heard of the term "Florida Shepherds".

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have heard the term "sand dogs" used for white and yellow dogs (any breed) presumably because they're sand-colored but not Florida Shepards. My Florida born shepards have all been black & tans.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That could be it, they blend in with the white sand and the regular sand! lol I will say I have place quite a few WGSDs in FL and have sent a couple north to snow country also. Just thought it was an interesting term. Like I said, consider the source. He was also telling me that the whites come from black and silver somehow. Didn't quite understand his train of thought.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaedchenThey get around -in Germany they call them Canadian shepherds (bc they blend in with the snow,lol?)
I've heard the Canadian Shepherd term too - mainly because of the Hoofprint Farms (along with other Canadian WGSD breeders) influence on the European WGSDs.

But I stand corrected about the Florida Shepherd.
Bruiser was born in Palatka so I have one b/t blanket coat GSD.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I always heard Canadian Shepherd when roaming outside the US (In some places in South America they refer to WGSD as Alsatian Shepherds but then, in Britain they use the term Alsatian for any GSD). But Florida Shepherd is news to me...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts