German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 5/6 month old male pup from a shelter. I don't know anything about his history, but the SPCA were going to destroy him because he has floppy legs. I managed to persuade them to let me have him, but I really need some advice. My vet thinks he may get to be around 6 years old before his legs become to bad and he has to be euthanised - but 6 years is better than 6 months surely?!

He has Carpal Subluxation syndrome, and I think his back legs are affected too, he certainly looks ungainly when he walks. He's a lovely boy, we've had him three days now and he's getting the hang of toilet training pretty quickly (still getting some accidents). There is a lot of conflicting advice out there and I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience of this condition and what to feed, how often to excercise and how much etc?

I am in New Zealand and I suspect some of the supplements available in the US may not be here, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

sorry about the fuzzy pics it's hard to photograph a moving target!

thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
10,062 Posts

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
Just looked again at the hind legs.
That does look severe, unfortunately...

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around and keep us updated. There is a wealth of knowledge here. There might be a way to help him through diet. Not really sure though. Maybe Carmen (carmspack) can take a look at the pictures and lend some insight.

By the way, I think your boy is very handsome! It is very honorable for you to take him on the way you did.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Try swimming or hydrotherapy. I have been looking into it for my puppy. Best of luck. What a cutie he is.

·
Registered
10,910 Posts
I once had a Borsoi pup with growth plates looking like that . The vet put him on a poor mineral content diet (generic super market food) to make his body absorb the excess amount of minerals in his growth plates. I don't know if this is the same issue but maybe worth talking to your vet about. Unfortunately that poor dog was always lame after exercise.
Your pup is still young and with a good regiment he may do well. Great that you are giving him that chance in life.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

thanks for your advice everyone, I will keep post an update in a month or so and let you know if we've managed to change anything

1 - 7 of 7 Posts