German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In several posts, I have read about GSDs getting injured while sliding on hard flooring.

This has me worried, because our home is all hardwood and tile.
Are hardwood and tile an absolute no--no when it comes to GSDs?

Is there a certain kind of tile that would work better, such as a rougher surface as opposed to smooth and polished?

Please let me know what you have and what you think is a good choice. We are in the process of building a home and I really, really hate carpet.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I am not a fan of carpet myself, I have wood floors thru the whole house, and lots of "throw" area rugs here and there..

I would love to be able to not have any rugs, but like you said, wood floors tend to be slippery/scratch (mine could use a good overhaul:),,so I like long long runners, and am partial to oriental type area rugs

·
Registered
564 Posts
Haha my husband and I always argue this one. My husband will say this after our dog slips "Look even dogs hate hard wood, it's not good for them."

I love hardwood and how easy it is to clean. I love the look and feel. My husband hates hardwood. One hallway and the kitchen have hardwood.

For clean up hard wood or tile. For comfort and less slipping rug.

With hard wood you can always put down area rugs and have the best of both worlds. That's what I would love to have.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have porcelain tile floors and have had no issues in 12 years other than an occasional dog sliding into the wall when the doorbell rings.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have hardwood floors everywhere and havent had any trouble. Kipper slides on it somtimes but only if hes trying to run for some reason. About every other day I use a shop vac to suck up dirt that we both track in and dog hair. It takes about 10 minutes and its actually clean. I wouldnt trade hardwood flooring for anything else.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
area rugs. we also had carpet that was 2' wide or more
that we laid like a track. cutting the hair between the
toes and around the pads helps with the slipping.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cutting the hair between the
toes and around the pads helps with the slipping.
YES! Thank you for that! I used to do that with my Peke, but it was because he got mud stuck in there.

Now to teach Herr Hans to submit to toe hair clipping...:crazy:

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
I have hardwood, laminate and stone tile. I don't know if the stone tile is real stone, it looks like it, but I sincerely doubt anybody spent that kind of money in this house, but it is absolutely not slippery, the hardwood isn't bad, the laminate is. But I hate my laminate and if we stay in this house I'm replacing it, right now I use a high gloss polish on it because it just irritates me, it's a blond, fake wood and shows paw prints, hair, everything, I literally swiffer vac a half dozen times a day. I only have an area rug in my basement which is finished concrete, they also have beds. I don't find they slip on it at all. Our house though they can't really get going to run or anything, it's open concept, but choppy if that makes sense, weird part walls all over the main floor, like quasi-dividers. In the winter I put an area rug in the livingroom, and if they were slipping I would as well, but mine are pretty good on our floors.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
We have all of the above in our house. My solution is to try not to let my dog horse play in the house. He will slide on the tile and hardwoods when he is riled up. This is more of an issue of teaching the kids not to get him going. (I will admit that I have been gilty of playing in the house with him but have forced my self to refrain).

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
YES! Thank you for that! I used to do that with my Peke, but it was because he got mud stuck in there.

Now to teach Herr Hans to submit to toe hair clipping...:crazy:
please please please do not cut the pad hair with scissors it's extremely easy to cut the pad open. please use clippers with a 15 blade and just skim across the top of the pad, keeping the blade very flat.

·
Registered
219 Posts
We have all tile and none of my dogs have had any issues. And Abby and Peaches will slide from time to time but they learn quickly that running makes them fall.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
please please please do not cut the pad hair with scissors it's extremely easy to cut the pad open. please use clippers with a 15 blade and just skim across the top of the pad, keeping the blade very flat.
or an even safer way to trim the fur of the pads is ask your local groomer of they can just shave the pads for you, much safer than using scissors. :)

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I prefer hard floors,but right now most my house is carpet. In my last house however, we had all hardwood flooring and I just used runner rugs and the bigger rugs for areas like the living room.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts