German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog turned a year old last week. At around 9-10 months he’s became weary of our laminate floor. Obviously he’s fine with carpet which we’ve torn out recently. The whole house will have wood floors. He was ok with the wood flooring in my room with no issue walking on it. It’s the hard laminate floor he had the worst issues with.

Now on Sunday I told some club members about it. On Monday I let my dog out of his crate and all of a sudden. He has decided to not walk on my bedroom floor. I feel like I’ve jinxed us.

It’s frustrating. On days I go to work I have no choice but to force him out of my room to go outside or I’ll be late. He’s ruined my floor pretty good in this short time.

I would just like to know how long this phase lasted for any of you and any tips are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*he was 10 months when he became afraid

Also he’s not afraid to take food so he doesn’t shut down or shake in fear. He just tenses up which makes his nails out and causes him to slip around

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't have any knowledge other than with my own dog....

A couple of things I have done for general confidence building.
1. I Use a 12 inch step stool and a five-gallon bucket half full of play sand and practice sit, step up, sit, exercises on various surfaces. I have Ole sit in front of the obstacle, 'step up' to put his front paws on the obstacle, and then sit again in front of the obstacle.
2. I made a little tetter-totter out of an old 2ft by 3ft piece of plywood and a 2 1/2 inch diameter pvc pipe. A couple of times per day I have Ole slowly walk across it.
3. We go to two big hardware type stores, home depot and farm and fleet, first thing in the morning to pratic walking around on the various surfaces.
4. We go to Dash park (picture below) and walk around on the big irregular stones.

It has greatly increase Ole's confidence of new surfaces. The slippery tile floor in my bathroom doesn't freak him out as he hops in and out of the tub.

He is still uncomfortable with bike or pedestrian bridges which use expanded metal as the floor :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Any time you make it easier for a dog to work through an issue, you make it more likely that the dog will not work through it. It is likely this is a nerve issue that won't go away, but it definitely won't go away by letting him avoid the stressor by using runners or rugs. You could put a small rug right outside the crate and then leash him up and force him to walk on the floor, just don't get upset and make it personal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually this morning he has remembered the floor in my room is fine. I let him in after he went outside and while reluctant at first he got over it.

I toss food and treats all over the laminate floor and he carefully walks to get them. So far he has made it across the room and I just let him go at his own pace.

To me it seems like he really wants to try

·
Registered
42 Posts
My dog did this when he was six or seven months old. He had been fine with all types of floors and then he started acting weird about floors that were slippery like polished concrete. For us, I just started taking him more places and getting him on more types of surfaces. We went to Lowe's every day for two or three weeks and walked around for ten minutes and I gave him treats and tried to make it a positive experience. I also took him to playgrounds when there weren't any kids around and got him to climb all over the equipment (minus the slide). Now he doesn't have any problems with different types of surfaces. I think Steve's suggestion of using an area rug where needed is a good one and then you can just work on tossing treats out onto the wood floor each day. I expect with time he should get over it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have just finished watching a dog trainer on tv, desensitize a labrador that had a shiny floor phobia for 5 years.

The dog will now happily walk across the floor.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've never dealt with this issue, but I agree in just keeping it positive, toys and treats on the floor and ignoring the silly behavior. If he wants something he will just have to walk on the floor. I have tile flooring and I put a super large rug in the center of the floor. It really helps in general, not because my dogs are scared, but more so they don't spend their life slipping around and scratching my floors.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Any time you make it easier for a dog to work through an issue, you make it more likely that the dog will not work through it. It is likely this is a nerve issue that won't go away, but it definitely won't go away by letting him avoid the stressor by using runners or rugs. You could put a small rug right outside the crate and then leash him up and force him to walk on the floor, just don't get upset and make it personal.
My recent experience is the opposite of this. I board a dog who has this problem. I watched him on the cam and he literally would not lay down in his kennel for like 24 hrs because he is afraid of the floor.

Dog did not want to enter kennel building because he hates the concrete floor. We gave him "islands" of rugs and things because the alternative was dragging him by slip lead and it was unpleasant for everyone.

I found a mat he likes for his kennel, so he knows he's going somewhere he feels comfortable and the end of the walk.

He has gotten better and better about walking through the building and going into his kennel. The act of us dragging him onto the floor he hated and then being put in a kennel where the whole floor made him afraid was so overwhelmingly negative that he was just shutting down and not getting anywhere. He has improved leaps and bounds, he no longer needs the "islands" to get to his kennel, he can walk across the floor without any drama. sometimes he will even go without a lead but when we have to put a lead on him he will walk calmly and not have to be dragged.

I think what we did was break up what was scary into smaller pieces so it was manageable for the dog where before it was just too much and he was completely overwhelmed.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
We've had this issue. I will preface with my girl has genetic weak nerve. She for no known reason became afraid of the kitchen floor (vinyl) around a year old. She absolutely refused to walk on it. It was the only way to go out into the fenced back yard to potty so it was a huge issue. She also refused to go on it to get to her food and water. Yes she didn't eat for several days as a result and started hunger puking. I tried making her walk on it and she shut down and splayed herself on the floor. I tried throwing her most high value treat all around the room. That didn't work either. After a few days I went out and bought runners. She never would eat a meal in there again...sigh. Over time, a very long time, she started venturing occasionally off the runner to other parts of the kitchen. It's not her favorite room in the house for sure but now years later (she almost 7 now) she has started wondering around the kitchen but does so with extreme caution. She does the same when I take up the runners to wash them but now will go to the door when she needs to go potty if they aren't there. She has never been a fan of shiny concrete floors either but will walk on them.
I really think it's going to depend on your dog if it will get over the phobia or not. I'd much rather invest in a few runners or small area rugs then have expensive floors ruined in the long run.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I have never seen that sounds like a nerve issue. Can he physically move and vision okay? How is he otherwise. I would also agree with area rugs that don’t slip everywhere. Keep nails trim for better traction. Does he like his toys/ball he may be just fixated on the toy or ball he may have no care to what he is walking on- unless this causes him to slip and slide.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a bit of an update.

He has gotten used to my bedroom floors again. I came up with a little system using a a thick padded kitchen mat and his dinner. Now he doesn’t need the mat. Well That was quick lol.

He eats his dinner with all 4 feet standing on the floor that we have our main issue with. Which is great. He just doesn’t know what to do after he’s finished his dinner but I think with time...he will get it. He even ventures out into the “problem” floor a little further by himself. Tomorrow I’ll dremmle the tips of his nails.

Maybe this IS just a strange phase and he just needs a bit of guidance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

And a picture of him after rudely but proudly jumping onto my bed waiting for his benebone.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Laminate is hard for dogs. It's really slippery! I started using Mushers Secret on their pads and found it helped.
But don't assume this is just a phase, and don't assume you can't help out. I don't want my dog sliding around or falling all the time so I strategically place non slip rugs.
Shadow is now 9. When she was 8 or so I shattered a plate in the kitchen(ceramic tile). She came to investigate the noise and I yelled at her. Ceramic tile floors would stop her in her tracks for months. Because in her mind the floor was the issue, not the shattered plate. To this day she will hesitate and look for assurance before setting foot on ceramic tile.
If you think, did something happen as he stepped into the room or jumped down from the bed? I'm glad he is getting past it but if your plan is to have bare floors you may want to consider rugs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts