German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my kids has been saying he wants a Christmas tree with “snow” on it, so I was thinking of getting a flocked tree. I checked the website of a local lot that flocks trees, and it says their flocking is non-toxic and safe for pets and kids. But, I don’t want to pay to have the tree flocked if the dog (and, possibly, cat) are just going to lick it all off.
Has anyone had a flocked tree with pets before? Did they eat the flocking? Plus, even if it isn’t actually toxic, it can’t be healthy. This will be Siggy’s first Christmas, so we don’t know how he’s going to react to the tree yet. I plan to put all breakable or valuable or dangerous ornaments up high, or not on the tree at all this year. It is also entirely possible that he may knock the tree over, though we bought a very sturdy stand a couple of years ago because my kids kept knocking the tree over.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Regarding knocking the tree over, after years of kids, grandkids, a crazy cat and klutzy dogs, we screw two eyelets into the wall in the corner where the tree is placed. We use nylon fishline to tie the tree trunk in two directions and have never had a problem. The eyelets are tiny and we leave them in from year to year. Can't help you with the flocking question, sorry.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea with the eyelets! Thanks! I’ve seen the upside-down tree idea that is popular to keep kid and pets from reaching the tree, but that seems like too much work to me, especially with our vaulted ceilings. I would probably do it wrong, and the tree will come crashing down and kill someone. Eyelets and tie-down seem easier and safer.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Put and ex-pen up around the tree. Most have a gate so you can still access the tree.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
A gate is best will save you lots of headaches. All the pretty dangling ornaments that the family is all fussing over - lots of temptation. Max is 4 and he is still trying to steal the same ornaments as he does every year. I was just checking the Christmas lights before I put them on the tree and found two sets with chewed wires cut through has to be from past year. I have gates up if we are not around. The animals love the excitement and of the tree and get caught up in it to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts