German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone here suggests flirt poles to tire out the young puppies, but my 9 week old boy really flies around at top speed and I thought that maybe this is not so good for his young soft joints. The pole motivates him to move much faster than he usually would just chasing a ball or playing, so to me it doesn't seem too natural.

I am careful not to have him make sudden tight turns but he really gets very intense about the pole. I know you should not jump a pup or walk long distances to protect the joints.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Well, my Sting enjoyed puppyhood without a flit pole because I didn't know about them. What I did was just tie an old towel with a clothesline to a tree trunk so it hung about 6 inches above the ground - I would give that a swing - and he would tug and pull. When he would be out in the backyard, he would go up to it and grab it and tug. No tight turns - no jumping.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Flirt poles are always good for exercise and keeping the prey drive strong if thats the route you want to go. Personally I think its important for a young pup to be able to catch what it is chasing to building confidence in its 'catching' ability so I would work on some of that first until hes a little older

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Everyone here suggests flirt poles to tire out the young puppies, but my 9 week old boy really flies around at top speed and I thought that maybe this is not so good for his young soft joints. The pole motivates him to move much faster than he usually would just chasing a ball or playing, so to me it doesn't seem too natural.

I am careful not to have him make sudden tight turns but he really gets very intense about the pole. I know you should not jump a pup or walk long distances to protect the joints.
I agree with you, really fun, but not so safe.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
I think you just need to stay low and fluid in the movements so the pup isn't skidding all around. And letting the pup win/tug is as much fun as the chase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts