German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to attempt making a flirt pole for Xena. I have seen the DIY ones done 2 different ways. 1) with a horse lunge whip and attach a toy to the end. 2) with PVC pipe for the handle and rope stung through it with toy to the end.

Any preference and why one may be a better option than the other?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
How old ia Zena? Flirt pole use when growth plates are still open can damage the joints from the sudden turns and jumping.

I use 1" PVC pipe with a hole drilled through and a tug tied on with a section of rope. The tug is a fake fox toy, (a faux fox).

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
118 Posts
I used 1/2 pvc, a 6 foot length, fed paracord through it with a 4 foot exposed length and secured it with duct tape on the handle end and a knot on the exposed end. I made a slip noose to go around either a booda bone or stuffed toy, so I can remove it and wash it...they get nasty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
3/4” PVC. I've used 6-10’ lengths. Drill a hole thru about 2-3” in from one end. about 12" of para cord through and tied off to kong ball; have used hides and linen tugs too. Durable and inexpensive. The majority of flirt pole workouts we do lately is in the pool..easier on the joints at all ages. Horse lunge with longer cord may be more effective at mimicking twitchy prey movements for a dog new to this game.

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
I have a lunge line. (aren't terribly expensive). Tie a piece of soft, floppy cloth to the end. (or a piece of real chamois if you want to be classy). Use sparingly with pups. Do not attempt to "wear the pup out" either. I'd say something like 5 minutes or less.

·
Registered
307 Posts
How old is Zena? Flirt pole use when growth plates are still open can damage the joints from the sudden turns and jumping.

I made one from a wood closet rod dowel, 5' of clothesline and a squeak tug toy Boon had chewed through. I took the stuffing out, tied it to the rope, attached it to the dowel and presto, "flirt pole". He LOVES it.

But... he is almost 10 months old. Should I not be using it? He loves running and jumping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts