German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so by flirt pole I mean horse lunge whip with a stuffingless toy.. but it works very well. And Virgil has yet to destroy it!

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
That's how I made mine. Nice shots!
Keep it low so your dog won't be injured, some of the landings can be wicked, especially with larger structures.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jane, we mostly kept it low, but will do from now on... hahaha, though, if you saw him you'd think he was going to hurt himself regardless because he'd go sliding face first into the grass when we were making it fly right over the grass! He's VERY intense. His favorite game is frisbee and he's had some pretty clumsy landings... thankfully we play on very soft surfaces (the ground around here never seems to get hard) and he's fine. He's a very agile dog

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He'll be five years old this June! I've had him for about 7-8 months, he was a craigslist dog.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Great pics! I use a very similar setup with a stuffingless toy. The dogs go crazy for it :)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the photos! I've recently been wondering if an adult dog could use a flirt pole- and now I know. Great looking dog and handler! ;)

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the photos! I've recently been wondering if an adult dog could use a flirt pole- and now I know. Great looking dog and handler! ;)
Apache was 7 when I learned about a flirt pole, he loves it.
That saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is not true.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I use a flirt pole with my two all the time. It is great fun for all of us. I learned right away that I can only play with one dog at a time with it though or I will get mauled...lol

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone! It's amazing how intense he is about this thing! I've only just started using it with him and the first time he liked it but each time he seems more intense! I can see how it would build drive in a dog! He will even give up his most prized frisbee for it!

@Falon, it astonishes me, too, that he's 5. He really doesn't act it (or look it)!

·
Registered
319 Posts
AWESOME!!!!!!! we're dyin' around here. i was hurt about 6mos ago in an auto accident and haven't been able to walk my dogs and my shoulder is injured in such a way that i can't throw frisbees or balls for them, but THIS! this i can do! a FLIRT POLE! i've seen my sister use these for her cats and wondered why there wasn't such a thing for sheps, rotfl, and there is, we just have to make them.

i'm makin' mine this wknd! thanks for idea!

dw :laugh:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a messed up shoulder (from a mtb crash) and it's been somewhat useless for about 5 weeks (finally getting better) so yeah! The discovery of the flirt pole is keeping me sane because I can now wear out my dogs without much stress to me! They typically would run with me while I mountain biked, but that's been out of the picture for a while :(

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
So excited! I just bought a horse lunge whip and a new no-stuffing toy. Now, if only the rain holds out until well after I get off work!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.