German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We made our own flirt pole today, and Strider (7 months old) loves it! He is way too smart, though. Instead of following the toy when I'm going in a circle, he will cut across me to cut it off before I finish the circle! I've watched videos of dogs just going round and round until the handler slows the toy down enough for the dog to catch it. I've got a run for my money if this boy figured out how to problem solve that toy into his mouth... Haha!

Anyone else have a flirt pole genius?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
We made our own flirt pole today, and Strider (7 months old) loves it! He is way too smart, though. Instead of following the toy when I'm going in a circle, he will cut across me to cut it off before I finish the circle! I've watched videos of dogs just going round and round until the handler slows the toy down enough for the dog to catch it. I've got a run for my money if this boy figured out how to problem solve that toy into his mouth... Haha!

Anyone else have a flirt pole genius?

It's amazing how quick they can figure angles of attack. Be careful though or he'll take your legs out from under you angling to cut off the toy!

Be sure to utilise commands with this flirt pole. I use a sit, wait and out commands. He doesn't get the toy unless he follows the commands. Commands are also vital because when your using a flirt pole your playing chase and that reinforces thier prey drive. So using commands helps you to control things if they get out of control.

Another thing I like to do with Cruz is in my fenced backyard, I will give him a wait command and walk to the other end of the backyard and then release him. It gives him more exercise and he loves it. I drag the toy on the ground when walking away. It just heightens his chase mode. Keep the toy out away from you though. He will use those angles of attack if you bring yourself between the toy and him at a full run and that can end very badly for you. I know, I came close a few times. We just about took out the neighbors privacy fence thats almost ready to fall over anyways this morning using this technique. I led himwith the toy alittle too close and he butt slammed or body checked(for those hockey fans around here) the fence. Didn't hurt him but I thought the fence was comming down! So be careful when doing this. They are so super focused on the toy they see nothing else. So beware!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, we use down and wait. He's not allowed to have it until we release him. I like the idea of walking across the yard! Probably the only time I wish that there wasn't a tree right in the middle of it.

I had to switch up my pattern pretty quickly. Figure 8, stop before he gets there and turn around. It's going to be a great training/tiring out tool. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts