German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

So I kept seeing "flirt pole" being tossed around on this forums. Never did i hear of this type of toy for a dog! I finally bought one after realizing of its exsistence and that it would be pefect for my puppy since she has a high prey drive.

However, being the worry-wort person I am, am concerned that kind of play is too hard on her joints/body being just a little one? She only plays for about 5-10 minutes before she is tired.

I just want to be sure this is safe to play with for a 7 month old GSD.

Thanks guys!

-Zelda's mama

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I've used a flirt pole with Delgado since he was a little puppy, keeping it slow and easy and basically dragging it on the floor for him to pounce on and shake when he was little. He loves the flirt pole. Now we play in the backyard and he chases the toy in a large circle around me like a horse on a lunge line. Easy running and no sudden stops or jumps, I also let him "win" often which forces him to take breaks after 2-3 laps

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I use a foxtail on a cheap fishing rod & reel lol

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah okay. I guess i will do the same than Shade.
Hunter, good to know! I will have to make one of those if this flirt pole dies on me. :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Low and slow, no quick direction changes. If she is stumbling, falling, tripping slow it down more its ok to let her catch it more often than not. If you have a good solid down / stay / sit, try putting her in a down / stay and walking away and letting her run a straight line instead of in a circle. I have done that with Diesel while he was building muscle mass so he was not falling it really helped with my OB.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Another thing to add is a flirt pole is a great tool for teaching impulse control. Even though the toy is there and tantalizing doesn't mean they can just leap and snatch it

Work with your dog staying in a down or sit before being released, take breaks often and get them used to calming down when needed in the middle of a play session. A flirt pole channels prey drive in a good way and can actually help them learn to manage it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea Diesel!! And yes, i will go slower if she does start to stumble, we are still working on her "let go" command so perhaps this will be of benefit because of all the practice of letting go.

Shade, that is SUCH an awesome idea. Total light bulb! I have been problems with Zelda and her prey on cats.. and this will be such a great tool to utilize for that. Thanks for that!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought a lunge whip from amazon.com with a towel tied to the end, works really well. Just make sure you use wide sweeping motions or circles to prevent injury.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I stopped using it, because I was concerned about their joints. Especially my GSD's elbows.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
i only use a flirt pole when im lazy and dont want to do other exercise with my dog. a flirt pole tires a dog out quick but the speed and force that mine chases the toy with scares me so i dont make it an every day thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts