German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trainer said that the flirt pole should only be used as a means for impulse control, whereas i have been using it as a means to exercise my pup and as a reward during my own training sessions. He said that the flirt pole will just make him more susceptible to chasing anything (i.e rabbits, squirrels, small dogs etc).

I'm not so sure I agree with his statement, but I was curious to see what responses people may have on this subject. thanks!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use it for impulse control / OB / exercise. I think it actually does the opposite where it satisfies the need to chase. Lets face it, I could walk until my legs fall off and my GSD would still be ready to go... 15-20 min of flirt pole play time mixed with OB and he is down right tired. I think its in perception, I think it has actually helped me with my OB, for a while it was all he could focus on but now I put him in a sit or a down and he watches me for the release to chase it. I go as far as to sit him down walk 10 +/- yards away throw the toy away from me and make him sit there, if he gets up he has to go back and start all over.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
If anything for Delgado the impulse control learned through playing with the flirt pole has helped him in everyday life. He know understands that even though something is moving teasingly in front of him, that doesn't mean he can chase it. He has to ignore it unless given the command to engage it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I disagree, I have had my 8 month old girl on a flirt pole since she was about 3 months old, she has never tried to chase after cats or squirrels or chipmunks, chickens or rabbits anything like that. I think it depends on how high the dogs prey drive is too but a lot of it has to do with training.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts