German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have my 3 and 1/2 month old male pup and there is allot of Flies, Fleas and Mosqueotos in my back yard in the grass since its gettting really hot. does anyone have any idea on what i can spray on the yard to get those done with and also be safe for my dog? I want to also get rid of some bees in my orange tree because i am scared they will bite him. I tried to hang something for the bees but it didnt work and the reason i want to spray is because i want to kill any eggs that might be in the grass.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Flies...keep the dog mess picked up every day

Fleas...Nematodes is an organic way to kill them with no chance of harm to dog...insecticides are dangerous....

Bees...sevin dust is LETHAL (will also kill the fleas but not keep them dead)...but bees are our friends.....unless they are yellowjackets.......bees don't put eggs in the grass if it is yellowjackets in the ground the nematodes will eat those eggs too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pick it up every time he poops but there is those really small flys/fleas that are all over the grass when i walkon the grass they start flying all over.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Along w/nemotodes, look for a garden "neem" oil mix you can spray on lawn

·
Registered
75 Posts
Diatomaceous Earth can be sprinkled around your yard to help with fleas (and any other crusty bugs). It's totally safe for your dog to eat. We feed a tablespoon, mixed with food, to our dogs daily...when they had fleas last year (our muttpuppy was resistant to Advantix so it took a while to find a flea treatment that worked), they ended up with tapeworm from eating the fleas & the Diatomaceous Earth will kill tapeworm.

Good luck! Our flea problem was complicated when we tore out our deck. I think there must have been a flea infestation under there (an opossum lived under there) because days after we tore it out, the dogs had fleas. That's when we learned Advantix didn't work on Coop. Ugh. It took forever to get rid of the infestation, but I think we're finally there...now that flea season is about to start again!!!

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
For diatomaceous earth you need to use food grade (it has label that says OMRI) The pool grade stuff id poisonous. It is great stuff. I got my DE and Nematodes at Arbico organics. They would sell Neem too. This stuff WORKS

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for mentioning that jocoyn. I always forget there's non food-grade. I buy it in bulk from Amazon. I dust the dogs, furniture, bedding, yard and feed it to the dogs and cats.

I didn't even know I had ants in my house until the day after I dusted it around the doorways, I found tons of dead ants!

Szarek - do some reading before you use it. It works by making crispy critters unable to move - when they try to, it cracks their exoskeletons. You don't want to breathe it in - which can be easy to do if you're not careful - it can cause breathing problems. But if used properly, it's pretty great stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts