German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I was using the Lemon thing, but with the heat and humidity, it was molding... so .. here goes...

The fleas were gone, now withing 48 hours they are EVERYWHERE. Now, I know better than to use HARTZ, but I normally use the Adams mist once a week, and am going to pick some up because I haven't used it in a while.. BUT.. what is affordable for in the house, car, etc..

I need.. something that is affordable. I can buy single doses for the frontline or advantix for about 16 bucks each.. but I am just not comfortable with those, and locally, people in schutzhund that use it say it's only lasting about a week... so any ideas? Help?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Use a combination of frontline plus, always given with a Capstar tab. Also give once a month sentinel pills, they stop the fleas from being able to breed. That combo for three months will stop the problem.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Not sure if this is what ur looking for, is a trap not spray, but for in the house my aunt successfully used this home made flea trap for catching the critters in her house....you could leave them out.

How to Make a Flea Trap - wikiHow

I don't have a flea problem, but I know I discussed an essential oil spray with my aunt....she made one and it did the job....

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Seriously... flea traps?? How about a flea circus to go along with that? Kill the suckers and stop their breeding cycle, then you'll win. Flea traps... OMG

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
My vet stopped carrying Frontline because of the resistance to it in our area of TX. Sounds like you need an attack on several fronts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Seriously... flea traps?? How about a flea circus to go along with that? Kill the suckers and stop their breeding cycle, then you'll win. Flea traps... OMG
Don't knock it till you try it!....if you have them crawling all over your house, it's a much better solution then gassing everyone and everything! And BTW, it DOES kill them, not makes pets out of them

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Don't knock it till you try it!....if you have them crawling all over your house, it's a much better solution then gassing everyone and everything! And BTW, it DOES kill them, not makes pets out of them
Come on... the dog is one giant flea trap!! Get real. It may convince some of the fleas that find an official trap to be more tempting than the dog, but stopping the cycle and the problem?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Come on... the dog is one giant flea trap!! Get real. It may convince some of the fleas that find an official trap to be more tempting than the dog, but stopping the cycle and the problem?
Well, see this is a FORUM so everyone gets to post their opinion, not just one person.....you don't like it, don't try it, but don't outright slam people who have had success with STOPPING the cycle! And actually, the dog is a flea attractant, hence the problem; if the dog was a trap they would be dead now wouldn't they.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Well, see this is a FORUM so everyone gets to post their opinion, not just one person.....you don't like it, don't try it, but don't outright slam people who have had success with STOPPING the cycle! And actually, the dog is a flea attractant, hence the problem; if the dog was a trap they would be dead now wouldn't they.
Yes indeed we all do get to opine. If I was a flea and in a group of fleas, I'd be one of the many that stayed on the dog. The ones that want to hit the opium den flea trap are a different group, into a different scene. :)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha... well... I am very aware of the frontline, sentinal, capstar, etc. I am looking for a non chemical, or low anyways. I use adams spray, but geez it doesn't work for long!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Unless 100% of the fleas go into the trap, there is no way that the breeding cycle is interrupted. Please explain in a credible manner, how the flea's breeding cycle is stopped with a trap, or even traps. Some subset of the fleas will prefer the dog, so please... I want to know.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Ha... well... I am very aware of the frontline, sentinal, capstar, etc. I am looking for a non chemical, or low anyways. I use adams spray, but geez it doesn't work for long!
The green way doesn't always work. I sincerely wish it did. You can squirt lemon stuff and this and that, set circus traps, whatever. You'll lose until you get the big stuff out there. Trust me. Or don't.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lemon works, but I have to buy/boil/steep way too often since it's molding..

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Lemon works, but I have to buy/boil/steep way too often since it's molding..
And?? You keep trying a method that doesn't work well for you? Have you looked up the definition of insanity? I'm not trying to be anything but helpful. Go below your standards of natural vs chemical for a lousy 3 months to rid yourself and the dog of the problem, then maintain with the natural stuff.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
All I was saying is that sometimes you need to take drastic measures to actually stop the problem in its tracks. The thread was titled: "Fleas are Taking Over!!!" That didn't say to me, "what kind of mamby-pamby alternatives can I explore?" Want results? Do what I suggested. Then go back to the lemon and herb stuff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm interested in this three-pronged approach. We too are in Va Beach and I've been having a problem getting the fleas to stay off. I've been putting on a monthly dose of Frontline (it wasn't Plus and wasn't doing the trick) but my vet switched him to First Shield Trio last month after he developed a horrible allergy to flea saliva and had these awful looking hot spots that popped out in a period of 2 days. He had to have his rear end shaved and was put on steroids and antibiotics. I've never heard of Capstar or Sentinnel...where would I find those and what are they supposed to do? I never want him (or me) to have to go through that horrible ordeal again!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I'm interested in this three-pronged approach. We too are in Va Beach and I've been having a problem getting the fleas to stay off. I've been putting on a monthly dose of Frontline (it wasn't Plus and wasn't doing the trick) but my vet switched him to First Shield Trio last month after he developed a horrible allergy to flea saliva and had these awful looking hot spots that popped out in a period of 2 days. He had to have his rear end shaved and was put on steroids and antibiotics. I've never heard of Capstar or Sentinnel...where would I find those and what are they supposed to do? I never want him (or me) to have to go through that horrible ordeal again!
Use the capstar and the sentinel and you'll be amazed. Capstar is a one time dose pill that kills every flea on the dog in 30 minutes. It has no lasting effect, but gives the frontline or whatever other month long thing you wish to give a head start. Sentinel stops the reproductive cycle of the fleas by making them sterile. Your vet has them and your local pet store likely does too. Works!!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've had excellent results with COMFORTIS!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts