German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm hoping someone can give me some good advice either for or against my niece's dogs vets recommendations.

Kujo (my niece's 14mth old male gsd) keeps coming up with a rash around his groin (sorry no photo's) Kujo went to the vet today and the vet say's he is allergic to fleas. They said they found an adult flea and some flea droppings. Kujo has been getting treated with comfortise(spelling?) The vet is now saying use frontline. The recommendations are to use this now and again in two weeks.

My concern is that this is just too much toxin wise.

Any opinions would be most welcome

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've never used Frontline, but I do use Revolution on all my animals. Well, except for the ones considered livestock. I have not seen any ill effects with any of them, and I have been using it for quite a while.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Comfortis was being used on Kujo and it didn't work! My issue is using a monthly flea treatment bi weekly? Isn't this just too much?

Personally we use Advocate on Shadow and so far so good, we've never had an issue with it and it covers most things.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I use Advantix as it covers ticks too and I use it fortnightly during summer. No issue here touch wood. I hope Kujo finds some relief.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
If the dog is allergic to fleas and they found a flea and a rash, it's better to retreat than let him live in such discomfort.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Comfortis was being used on Kujo and it didn't work! My issue is using a monthly flea treatment bi weekly? Isn't this just too much?

Personally we use Advocate on Shadow and so far so good, we've never had an issue with it and it covers most things.
They usually recommend dosing every 4-6 weeks. Your vet might have been talking about only giving the first two doses so close together. Personally, the closest I would cut it would be 3 weeks then once a month for the other doses.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I use K9 Advantix. My uncle had given me some Frontline. His dog had passed and he had just used 2 does out of the 4 pack. I tried the Frontline and found 2 ticks on Wolfie, and one on me! I went back to Advantix and I haven't seen a tick on him since.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Frontline is recommended for reapplication every 2 weeks if there is a flea problem. The trick is, you need to get rid of the fleas in the environment... house and yard.

I do not like to use poisons/pesticides. However, I like fleas and itchy/scratchy dogs even less.:)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
IMHO you should consider using COMFORTIS ... I've had excellent results with it. However, Slider had a reaction to it so I use FRONTLINE on him. I only use flea products when the dogs are scratching ... then I treat for two months to pick up any strays.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I got Frontline for free for a vet visit. I put it on one of my dogs and Advantage on the other. The one with the Frontline did not have any fleas on her prior to the application. I checked her the next day and all the fleas I guess jumped off the other dog and onto her. She was loaded with fleas. A week later I put some Advantage on her and then no fleas. I don't use Frontline but since I got it for free I figured why not use it. I have always used Advantage and can see that obviously I am not missing much by not using Frontline as to it does not work.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Frontline does not repel. It only kills once the fleas get on the dog. Each of the products works differently, and understanding how they work will help you in deciding
1)what is best for your situation
and
2)is the product working?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts