German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. We will be traveling with our dogs to my parents house in Northern California and I know for a fact that my moms dogs have fleas, and our dogs do not have fleas. Is it possible to use the basic flea treatments prior to heading out on our trip (i.e. as a preventative tx), and if so, how early should we start treatment? Thank you in advance. I really don't want to start a flea infestation in our home or on our dogs..

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would use a topical application like frontline or advantage and apply it so that it will start killing the fleas as soon as your dogs meet your parents dogs. So, if it takes 24 hrs. to be effective acccording to the package diredtons- I would apply it 24 hrs. before. Depending on the package directions, I would also give my dogs a second treatment later on for having been in a heavily infected flea area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the information. I pray that this stuff works. I have avoided my parents house ever since we got our dogs, but the 4th of July is a holiday I cannot miss. :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Is it possible for your to board your dogs while you're gone instead? Even with something like frontline on my dogs, I don't think I'd put them in a situation where there would be a great deal of contact with other dogs I know have fleas. Things like frontline don't always work in other areas. Fleas develop immunity to chemicals which is why companies are constantly changing their solutions for effectiveness. It's also why some topicals work in one place but won't work in another.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts