German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have recently brought back 3 dogs from Canada on is pregnant and is covered with fleas, Is there a flea control that I can use on a pregnant female that won't hurt mom or the babies?

·
Registered
929 Posts
you should be able to use any quality brand flea control on a pregnant or nursing mother ...

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i think you should speak with your Vet about what flea and tick products to use. if i had a pregnant dog i would definitely consider something all natural/organic.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Originally Posted By: chuckHi I have recently brought back 3 dogs from Canada on is pregnant and is covered with fleas, Is there a flea control that I can use on a pregnant female that won't hurt mom or the babies?
The only thing I would use on a pregnant dog (especially without a vet's approval and checking out all the possible side effects is FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH . You can sprinkle it on her coat and it her kennel and and it will dry up the fleas. You have to make sure it is food grade, not the stuff used for pools. Here is a link with more info about the uses of "DE"

I am pretty sure Bio Spot is one of the brands NOT to use on Pregnant females. Also remember that all of the chemicals are absorbed into the body thus do effect the fetus growing inside in some way.

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely this is why I'm asking her cause our vet would give me something other than that and would rather give her something that is more on the natural side

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
I wouldn't use any product on her, unless you get the OK from the vet. Just bc it says Bio, doesn't mean it's harmless. I believe Capstar tablets are safe for pregnant pets, but better check.

If the female is in a kennel environment fleas are very easy to take care of. First give her a good bath (any dog shampoo will do). Let the shampoo soak in for a couple minutes to drown the fleas and then rinse well to avoid skin irriation. You can bath her every couple days to kill any fleas on her. Start by soaking & shampooing the head first, or the fleas will flee and hide out on the head.

Buy food grade (not the one for the pool) Diatomaceous Earth (in a garden center or online like wolfcreekranch) and sprinkle around the kennel area to kill any fleas on the ground.

If you have electrial power outside, you can place a lamp outside next to the kennel and put a bowl with soapy water underneath. The fleas- attrackted by the light- will jump in and drown.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
My suggestions were going to be some bath's, the DE and the light with the soapy water.

I don't know the age of the bitch, what condition she is on, if she is stressed with the move to a new home and about how far along she is. With all those things to consider I would want some thing natural and not chemically adding stress to her.

Val

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Val exactly, She is a 3 yr old female that is maybe 60 to 65 lbs she has already has adapted to the new place real well. she does have the other 2 dogs next to her run and have had them quarantined and have to start her process of coming in and getting use to her whelping room. I do this about 2 weeks before they are to give birth. So without infesting our whelping room with fleas I would like to treat her now if there is anything that can be done during her pregnancy. She is about 6 weeks along. Although the other owner didn't write down the day of breeding so I'm going by what I was told by him after I got her.

·
Registered
15,138 Posts
Well you have plenty of time for several baths. Just as another posted said make sure she gets rinsed off really well. That baths should start putting a dent in the Flea population. The problem will be her kennel area until you can get some DE (food grade), she will just keep picking up those fleas in the kennel.

The light and soap dish works really well also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts