German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone using for flea and tick protection?

The breeder we got our latest GSD from was into holistic type stuff. My wife and I are a bit apprehensive about this approach.

We've used Vectra 3D on our previous GSD and it worked okay. We have also used Advantix until our vet stopped carrying it.

Flea and tick season is here now, and we want to get something before venturing out into the great outdoors.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
We had to go on trifexis for all in one and i will use a tick collar if we go hiking, but the vet mentioned ticks are not a concern for us here. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
245 Posts
We've never had a flea issue but ticks have been a huge problem for us here in SEPA. Frontline Plus was completely useless for that, and Certifect (which is essentially Frontline plus amitraz for ticks) worked adequately but I disliked the side effects and he still managed to get some engorged ticks last fall.

We're currently using Advantix II - no side effects and it hasn't been on yet during the heavy season to know its true effectiveness, but it's the most recommended among friends. I was considering using Vectra 3D but it isn't widely available like Advantix is.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Honestly I am not using anything right now other than nematodes in the yard. If we start picking up ticks in the woods (we go into woods every day) I will use a Preventic collar. I do a flea/tick check daily.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Ticks are a huge problem here. We were using Frontline, then we switched to Revolution. I wish I could find a med that would keep the ticks from biting and latching (nothing like coming back from a hike and finding a ton of ticks on him). We finally had to go to some flea/tick/mosquito spray for him. Worked like a charm.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I go over the whole thing. Have you ever checked your own head for ticks?
Dog Care - Checking for Ticks - Video Dailymotion

Easier to find a video than put it in words. This is basically what I do. It is also good for finding small tumors, cuts, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts