German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I get this is a dog forum, but my question is about a cat. My brother recently treated the cat with a topical flea and tick medicine. And it completely removed the hair where he put it, on the neck/shoulder juncture. Is that normal? It's been 2 or more weeks and you can still see the bald spot!

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
No, not normal but unfortunately not uncommon either. Hair will take awhile to grow back. Look up the active ingredient in that product and switch to one without it... may have to go with oral or seresto.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not normal but unfortunately not uncommon either. Hair will take awhile to grow back. Look up the active ingredient in that product and switch to one without it... may have to go with oral or seresto.
Thanks! It really had me worried, poor cat!

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
How big is the spot? Like a quarter or like a....salami slice?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's small, but it's a black cat so from the back when she flexes it's noticable. The skin never looked inflamed, it's just white, which is a stark contrast and hard to not notice!

The cat shows, and hasn't ever shown, any discomfort or sensitivity in that area. Just seems weird, and a bit harsh!

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
My cat had the same reaction, to frontline. But grey and long haired so less noticeable. I can’t really recall how long it took for the hair to come back. I ended up stopping all topicals with her... I’ve got a love/hate relationship with them.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I think we're there also with the love hate thing...

Gonna look for something else for sure! Have you had any good luck with sorento? So many say NO!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
My Daughter’s cat had a horrible reaction to the Seresto to collar. Much like the pics that a google search brings up. If your son chooses to try any collar, I would caution that he check under the collar very thoroughly daily to make sure no irritation is starting. Especially the front under the chin.

I wish I had kept the pic because it was bad and hard for us to understand why it got so bad without noticing sooner.

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
I used seresto collars on 2 dogs and a cat. It was effective on all 3, but on my 2nd round of collars, Keystone (dog) developed a reaction after about a month that resulted in hair loss around his neck. I don’t understand, I purchased it at the same retailer so no reason to think it was a knock off or tampered with.... that said, I still recommend them and know ppl that have had long term success.

anyway, it worked well for the cat but I discontinued the use on all 3 after the reaction.

I keep a topical on hand, but only use it once a year or so if I actually see fleas. Otherwise... through normal cleaning, diet, grooming and yard spray - we don’t have problems.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Cats are so sensitive to flea/tick products -- I would honestly get a product from the vet for a cat, and also talk with the vet about what's being used on the dog. It costs a little more, but filling the RX online at Allivet may save some money.

It's not just the cat's sensitivity to the cat-specific product. It's also the problem that whatever is used on the dog has to take into account that there's a cat in the same household--there are some OTC dog products that should not be used on a dog if they share an environment with a cat as they're highly toxic to cats. So this is one of those situations where paying a little bit for vet guidance on multi-species flea/tick prevention can avoid way more expensive (and lethal) problems down the road.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a picture for reference...

20200509_234606.jpg

The vet has been so backed up lately that it has taken us several days of repeated calling to get through. But we did go through a Vet for the dogs. The cat actually belongs to a nephew, so he bought the topical, and I don't know if he got it from a Vet or not...my guess would be no.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts