German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadow is due to start on Revolution in a few days.
I have a problem. Lol. I don't know how to do this!
They are little tube thingys that I am supposed to squirt on her. How does this work?
I gather it goes somewhere between her shoulders? All in on place?
No comments on how many problems I have please, lol. The voices in my head debate that endlessly but sadly have no info on flea and tick meds.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Shadow is due to start on Revolution in a few days.
I have a problem. Lol. I don't know how to do this!
They are little tube thingys that I am supposed to squirt on her. How does this work?
I gather it goes somewhere between her shoulders? All in on place?
No comments on how many problems I have please, lol. The voices in my head debate that endlessly but sadly have no info on flea and tick meds.
Hope this helps.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
That video is great! The biggest mistake that people make with topicals is applying to the fur, not the skin. Parting the fur to expose the skin is essential. Often when people say a topical doesn't work, it's due to user error.

To dispose of the tubes of these topicals, the U.S. E.P.A. says to wrap the empty tube in newspaper, and then seal it in a plastic bag before putting it in the trash. I have no idea what the Canadian regulators say to do...if you find out, maybe come back and share it?

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will find out about disposal.
So I part the fur and it all goes in one spot?

·
Super Moderator
7,249 Posts
Yes... I typically administer it in the shoulder blade cup/dip while the dog is standing and preoccupied, slow squeeze so that it doesn’t “flood” and run down the hair. I’ve also put the nozzle against the skin and sort of pushed against the grain (about a 1-2” line) and it goes on fine that way too.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
You'll need a line that's probably a couple of inches long to squirt it out very slowly -- I try to "dot" the topicals along a line of skin to avoid the problem Fodder described of it running down the fur. So it's almost like dab here, dab right above (or below) that one, and continue doing that, moving along that line.

Depending on the size of the tube, it might take 4 or so movements along the line of fur in that area, each on fresh skin along the same line of parted fur. If I run out of space for all of it, I just part more fur. Squeezing the entire tube out quickly on a single spot doesn't work--it can run down the side of the dog, and you'll wonder if you need to reapply or if enough was absorbed.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

So here in Canada empty tubes can be disposed of in your normal household trash, as per instructions.
Thanks for your help in application. Just did it now, so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought I did it right. I put the tip tight against her skin and squeezed it slowly in a 1-2 inch line right between her shoulders. Her fur is all mohawky in that spot. I'm guessing that means I did it wrong?

·
Super Moderator
7,249 Posts
I thought I did it right. I put the tip tight against her skin and squeezed it slowly in a 1-2 inch line right between her shoulders. Her fur is all mohawky in that spot. I'm guessing that means I did it wrong?
No... it’s impossible for some not to spread onto the fur. Only the majority of the product has to be absorbed. Mine have all had the Mohawk too.

...and 3 dead ticks on my white sheet proves that despite Mohawk, it works ;-)

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No... it’s impossible for some not to spread onto the fur. Only the majority of the product has to be absorbed. Mine have all had the Mohawk too.

...and 3 dead ticks on my white sheet proves that despite Mohawk, it works ;-)
Thank you! I was a bit concerned that I had messed it up. I will hope for no dead ticks though, no ticks at all! Sabi got one right on her eyebrow once. They are so gross.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have it bad here in Northern NJ. My pup is on Bravecto and before hikes I spray him and I with natural deet-free repellent.

·
Super Moderator
7,249 Posts
Thank you! I was a bit concerned that I had messed it up. I will hope for no dead ticks though, no ticks at all! Sabi got one right on her eyebrow once. They are so gross.
Yeah, I only use it (advantix) a couple times a year as needed. We went on a “choose your own adventure” hike the other day, which of course he likes to go off the trail, and got several ticks on each of us - figured I might as well dose him to get any that I missed. Low and behold, 3 on the bed the next morning.
They only gross me out if I’m caught by surprise or if I see one then lose it. I’d take ticks over fleas!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts