German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that Ozzy has some little flakes on his fur from his skin, like dandruff/dry skin.

I got him a bag of the lamb and oatmeal BB puppy and he eats that much more easily than the chicken and brown rice kibble. Normally I have to stand around and wait for him to eat the chicken, but when I gave him lamb, he ate it, no problem. He loves it.

Might he have a chicken allergy drying out his skin? All of his food so far, aside from the lamb and oatmeal, has chicken in it. I don't know if that has to do with why he eats that formula faster than the chicken, since that might just be because he prefers the taste, but I'm curious. He gets all of the following: BB chicken/brown rice, Wilderness salmon/chicken, turkey/chicken, and duck/chicken (canned), Nature's Variety raw: chicken formula, and BB lamb and oatmeal.

He's almost done with all of the foods with chicken, so should I try out different formulas with no chicken and see if that helps his skin?

Another thought I had would be that the ticks/fleas dried out his skin, or him scratching himself has given him the dandruff.

What do you guys think is more plausible? The chicken making his skin dry or the ticks and fleas? (We still have a few ticks here and there, but no more fleas).

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Is he itching at all or is it just the dandruff?

Maybe give some salmon oil supplements a shot. I've never had to give any before, but from what i've read, it does wonders for their coats.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
both could cause him to have itchy dry skin that is resulting in the flakey skin. Its also possible that he isnt getting the right stuff to help keep the moisture in his skin. oatmeal baths work nicely along with adding salmon oil but you could try to change to avoid chicken and see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
WHOA no kidding on the spam alert!!!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
My dog had flaky skin the day I got her (9 wks old) and up until I changed her to a raw diet (4yrs old). She does get itchy in the winter with the dryness, but not a lot of flakes. I really love supplements from K9 Power products. I have her on their puppy gold right now (like a prenatal vitamin), getting ready to breed her. Her coat is very healthy and shiny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.