German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be picking up my first GSD in two weeks, he will be eight weeks old. What do I need to have before I bring him home? And advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
21 Posts
When we brought Eva home, we bought tons of toys, food, food and water dishes, her crate. We bought a 48 inch with a divider and double doors. It’s better to get a bigger crate first. You save money, cause you don’t have to buy another crate. And the double doors makes it easier to move to other places. We have it against the wall where we use the side door. Much handier. We also bought a dog bed, but she ripped it up anyhow. So just use old towels for them to lay on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another thing about the crate. Are breeder told us to make sure that the crate is fairly tall. If it’s too short, she had a person who bought one of her puppies. The crate was too short and it stopped the ears from growing cause they didn’t have enough room to become erected. So the cartilage was damaged, and the dog now has floppy ears. Basically buy anything you think you’ll need. Including puppy wipes and ear cleaner. They get dirty fast

·
Registered
587 Posts
- Two Large Breed Crates with Dividers. One for the living room and one for your bedroom.
- Lots of soft chew toys, the fluffy squeaky ones, use these to replace your arms and hands from biting
- Puppy Kibble
- Small Kong and Peanut Butter
- Lots of baby gates to section off your home. Contain him to your living space
- Bitter Spray to deter him from chewing up your furniture, stairs, etc.
- A small dog harness, don't put anything on the neck in terms of a collar for a while
- leash
- poop bag holder for the leash
- Make a vet appointment
- Treats, I like the dehydrated real meat kibble toppers and so does he!
- Balls
- Resolve brand clean-up spray for accidents
- A small transporting crate for the car - $50 bucks on Amazon

Congrats! What are the details? Long or Short Hair, pedigree? American, German, etc.? Post pics!!

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Find out what kibble he is eating now and have that exact one on hand. You may want to change later but at first, keep him on what he is used to. In addition to what was suggested, I like to have a spill proof water bowl for the crate.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Very helpful suggestions from fellow members, here is my list for my first GSD Josie. She came home with us close to 10 weeks. In no particular order, just looking at my old Amazon list. Some are a must , some may you may not need now but may in the future, some didn’t turn out to be as helpful or essential for Josie.

1. SmartPetLove Snuggle puppy - was supposed to help adjusting to being in her new home. It has a heat pack and a little pulsating thing that’s supposed to mimic heart beat. Heard it helped some pups but Josie ended up wanting to chew the toy.

2. *Harness — Petsafe Deluxe Easy Walk harness - really helpful in the first few months for learning to walk on a leash. She then graduated to the Ruffwear front range harness and now uses K9 TG. Also attached blinking lights (Adventure light) to the harness.

3. *Leash - when she was younger we used Max and Neo Double Handle traffic leash 6ft. It was reflective which was useful for dark early morning walks. We also had the Ruffwear Knot a Leash for when we took short hikes. Now we use K9 tactical gear harness and 5 ft leash (Josie is a year old now), a 33 ft long line for recall training.

4. Collar with ID tags - she wore one the first few weeks but at some point we stopped using one

5. ID tags - engraved with name and phone number, she has a Dynotag attached to her harness now

6. * Toys - we like Westpaw Zogoflex ones..she hasn’t destroyed any of those. She has destroyed her squeaky squirrels and Tuffy toys. Frozen stuffed KONG Classic is something she’s always had in her crate.

7. * Crates and beds - I think her first crate was 30 inches (wire crate single door) and having a black crate cover helped. The Kong crate pad held up well. Blankets were not necessary and she would chew on those. Now that she’s bigger she has a 42 inch wire crate with cover and crate pad (Big Barker) in the bedroom and an Impact Dog collapsible crate with pad in the living room. We used Petmate Sky Kennels for a while but a paw getting stuck in the door quickly made as change to another kennel.
She has elevated beds with pads from Kuranda for lounging I indoors and training outdoors.

8. Car Seat covers - we have 2 different brands but the Meadow
Lark seems to be holding up better

9. Potty bells - less accidents when she learned to use them (never had to use pee pads for house training)

10. Deodorizer spray - we found BioKleen effective than others we’ve tried in the past

11. Food and Treats - so many options out there! She liked Zukes early on but now we’ve changed to single ingredient freeze dried raw treats. We used this a lot for training, still do. She loves BULLY STICKS (Nature Gnaws)! Munching on a bully stick eased her a bit on the drive home from the breeder. Our breeder fed her raw so we stayed with that. We had to cook it until she was 4 months. She is still on puréed veggies, I had to get a blender for that.

12. Training items - we used a clicker and a lot of treads, elevated bed for learning place

13. Treat pouch - for training and walks. I went through 3 of the Petsafe pouch but all clips would break easily. Now I use k9 tactical gear, sturdy metal clip.

14. Vitamins and supplements - depends on what your breeder recommends. (E.g. Thorne multi, Amber Technology , Nordic naturals supplements)

15. Bowls - stainless steel ones (Basis Pet). Got those slow feeder bowls but never had to use them. Used to have a drinking fountain now use a regular Yeti bowl for water. We use a Ruffwear collapsible bowl for hikes.

16. Paw protection products - may need later on when you got out for walks or hikes. We use Mushers secret for hikes and Natural Dog company Pawtection for walks around the neighborhood.

17. Grooming products -Dremel 7300 for trimming the nails , Furminator brushes, oatmeal based shampoo, Vetwell dog ear wipes, Burts bees pet wipes, microfiber bath towel. We don’t have a tub in the house so i ended up getting an elevated bathing station (Booster Bath). I’ve only bathed her twice so far and have this helpful to have. Styptic powder to stop the bleeding from cutting the nails too short.

Not sure if I’m missing anything. Hope this helps and enjoy your new pup! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off thank you all for the great suggested items. It was very helpful!! He’s only six weeks right now and I’ll be picking him up in a week or two. I was thinking about naming him Otto... what do you guys think? I’ll have to see if it really fits him though when I actually have him.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome thank you so much for going into great detail. Amazing and very helpful! Just curious why is the Dremel better then standard dog nail clippers?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go too crazy on buying things until you get him home. What we made sure to have when we brought Koda home was:

Food/treats- breeder sent home a gallon bag of what they were feeding and we bought a small bag of it in order to transition her slowly over to what we wanted to feed. We used her kibble or plain cheerios for training treats.

Crate- we already had a medium sized airline crate from our previous dog. We purchased a larger one after she out grew that.

Expen- We used an expen to keep her contained when I wasn't actively able to watch her.

Collar/Harness/Leash- cheap nylon buckle collar, harness and 6 ft nylon leash. Went cheap on them because she was going to quickly outgrow the collar and harness and the leash would get peed on and chewed etc.

Bedding- In the crate she had an old towel so if she destroyed it oh well. In her expen we had a cheap midsize bed easily replaceable if she messed it up.

Grooming- Puppy shampoo, brush, and wipes

Toys- variety including rope, kong, balls, and stuffed. Again we went with mostly cheap toys because we knew she would be destroying them

Chews- tried pigs ears but she ate them too quickly and they were nasty. Antlers and empty water bottles were her favorite.

Cleaning supplies- Potty pads, spot cleaner and paper towels

Also get puppy to the vet asap just to get the basic intake new puppy exam stuff out of the way so you're not having to do all of that if an emergency happens.

·
Registered
587 Posts
He's adorable! The stuff I posted ended up being a must for me. Maybe though you can get by with one crate, but definitely get the big adult one and use the divider to make it small.

One last thing, and VERY important, bring a small flannel blanket when you go pick him up and rub down his Mom with it for a few minutes. Put this in his crate so he can smell his mom while he gets adjusted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It looks like people have you covered on lists of physical things you'll need for your puppy. If possible, I'd also suggest getting "Raising Your Puppy with Michael Ellis" on the leerburg website. I watched it before bringing my puppy home and it was invaluable to me. It has so much information that was really helpful and showed me how to stop some behaviors before they became problems.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
It looks like people have you covered on lists of physical things you'll need for your puppy.

If possible, I'd also suggest getting "Raising Your Puppy with Michael Ellis" on the leerburg website. I watched it before bringing my puppy home and it was invaluable to me. It has so much information that was really helpful and showed me how to stop some behaviors before they became problems.
Michael Ellis is an excellent suggestion.

I also would like to suggest that you get this training book:

https://www.amazon.com/Purely-Positive-Training-Companion-Competition/dp/0966302001

And while you are waiting, go to YouTube and peruse some videos by Stonnie Dennis. He does things with dogs that most people on here can't do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Michael Ellis is an excellent suggestion.

I also would like to suggest that you get this training book:

https://www.amazon.com/Purely-Positive-Training-Companion-Competition/dp/0966302001

And while you are waiting, go to YouTube and peruse some videos by Stonnie Dennis. He does things with dogs that most people on here can't do.

Haven’t read that one but I’ve read obedience in drive. Also a good one. Although prob not what you’re looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
I also vote for Stonnie videos. He is the best online trainer because he shows and explains everything very clearly. He is also very accomplished at training dogs to be the best they can be. He looks at the whole dog, temperament, abilities, needs and structures his methods around them.

Start with this one and watch all the short videos in his puppy series,

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Haven’t read that one but I’ve read obedience in drive. Also a good one. Although prob not what you’re looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have that book but never read it. Slamdunc is the one that turned me on to the one I recommended. It builds a strong foundation on a young pup. My only complaint with this book is that.she uses a lead and drag line too much .

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Awesome thank you so much for going into great detail. Amazing and very helpful! Just curious why is the Dremel better then standard dog nail clippers?

You’re welcome! I find the Dremel easier to use and I’m less likely to nick the quick when I use it over nail clippers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
OMG cute!

Your puppy is so adorable. It reminded me of my Buddy when we got him.
They grow so very fast, enjoy the fluff muffin while it remains. It goes away so fast.

Not to say he/she won't be incredibly handsome/beautiful when grown. But they won't be that cute little fluff muffin. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts