German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past two days Rocky has had a faint blood smell to him (only at random times). My boyfriend's little brother said it was a "fishy" smell to him. No idea where it is coming from or why...

Imagine this: Me on my hands and knees and Rocky rolled over on his side while I smell every part of him to try and figure out where the heck it is coming from!

lol

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree with Linzi. I just had Stosh's anal glands cleaned out at the vet's this morning- they do it when they bathe him. A job I'm happy to let them do!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
If it is truly a fishy smell I would guess his mouth. He may have an infected tooth or just some left over tasty thing that is stuck to a tooth. Or, it could be coming from his ears. Have you smelled his ears. Sometimes an ear infection has that type of smell. If he was a female I would suggest checking to see if a heat cycle is coming up but since he isn't then my best guess would be the mouth.

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is definitely teething! And we are at my boyfriend's home and his mother is sneaking Rocky human food. She said she hasn't, but his dad said he saw her feed Rocky steak, hamburger, french fries, and bacon. I'm pretty upset about it but my boyfriend said that his mom does it because otherwise Rocky won't come near her.

I guess that if she can't help herself, then Rocky won't be visiting again...I would rather have a butt hurt human than a sick puppy. I was wondering why he had diarrhea yesterday...the day after we had bacon for breakfast, burgers for lunch, and steak for dinner.

Its frustrating when people won't follow the rules you have for your puppy...

·
Registered
906 Posts
I agree, anal glands....smellllllllllyyyyyyyy!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
He is definitely teething! And we are at my boyfriend's home and his mother is sneaking Rocky human food. She said she hasn't, but his dad said he saw her feed Rocky steak, hamburger, french fries, and bacon. I'm pretty upset about it but my boyfriend said that his mom does it because otherwise Rocky won't come near her.

I guess that if she can't help herself, then Rocky won't be visiting again...I would rather have a butt hurt human than a sick puppy. I was wondering why he had diarrhea yesterday...the day after we had bacon for breakfast, burgers for lunch, and steak for dinner.

Its frustrating when people won't follow the rules you have for your puppy...
How about getting some treats that she can give him that ARE ok? If he's afraid of her for no apparent reason, it might be a good thing that she is doing it. You don't want him to be scared of people, he needs to associate other people with GOOD things...Like food! ;) But if it's upsetting his tummy to have "extras" from the table then I'd def look into some treats so that she is less tempted to feed table treats. Pupcorn or Charlee Bear treats would be a good choice since they're only 2-3 calories each. :) So she could give a couple without upsetting his diet/calorie intake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts