German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use this clinic ? I am trying to find a good vet for Jamie. Dr.Ferguson at Cranberry Hill Vet in Kemptville was recommended to me it's a much longer drive and Jamie still gets car sick and apparently even though I am looking at a month from now - I can't get an appt with Dr.Ferguson anyways. When I asked when she would be available the answer was "they don't know" ?

So I was thinking of Fisher Glen since they say they are fear free and they are only 12 minutes from us.
Any experience would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Have you checked their reviews on their website?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Website reviews don't mean much. I have designed a number of web sites and filters can be set to only display 5 stars only (not to mention you can just write your own "reviews"). Not sure if the same can be done with google. So I take it with a grain of salt so to speak :)

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
if you use NextDoor, i’ve found them to be a good resource for things like this.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you use NextDoor, i’ve found them to be a good resource for things like this.
Not sure what that is. Will check it out. Thanks

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
You are right about reviews but sometimes you can get a feel as to whether or not the reviews are honest.

A great vet is worth the drive but there are serious drawbacks and this is coming from my experiences right now. An hrs drive one way under regular situations is not a big deal but in an emergency, you need a back up animal hospital close by. An ailment that requires multiple visits within a week or month, the travel does add to the stress. Access sometimes isn’t easy as you won’t be available for a needed visit by filling in for an impromptu cancellation.

I would at least check out this one and also, I don’t like that answer that the other doesn’t know when the dr will be available. That is not right. They should have stated he/she is booked until ....... and could have offered to put you on an on call list for cancellations.

Reactions: EgansMom

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Unfortunately I just called Fisher Glen and they are not accepting new patients till February due to covid.I will get back in touch then because I like what I heard. But she needs vaccs around Jan 20th so....
I called Centerpointe veterinary clinic near me but they are a member of the Canadian "VCA" chain of hospitals.
That means overpriced ($300 for core vaccs +exam + unneccesary fecal - she was dewormed 3 times with 2 different meds already).
And they pushed HARD for over vaccinating.That's a hard no for me. I didn't even bother mentioning that she is raw fed (as was my previous dog for 6yrs).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts