German Shepherds Forum banner

fish oil

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  deborahgym2 
#1 ·
Hi,
my GSD is allergic to "fish mix" (that's how it read on his allergy report), and would like to know if fish oil capsules (Omega 3) will cause an allergic reaction and/or if so, is there another omega 3 supplement out there that i can use that does not contain fish? would greatly appreciate any advice :)

#2 ·
There are O3 alternatives. You'll have to do a google search for them. I believe Nupro has flax seed in it but that O3 is ALA and not the EPA/DHA. I know there are alternative EPA/DHA out there but haven't done any research on them.

If my dog was allergic to fish, I wouldn't give him fish oil. What kind of reaction does he have to it?

#3 ·
no reaction per say but would like to see his stools a bit firmer. he also has a sensitive GI tract and we have him on NB LID. i did some research and found out that there's a supplement out there called Salvia Hispanic Plant ( Chia seed) that provides a rich source of omega fatty acids. Hmmm....

#4 ·
Just make sure it's ok for dogs. Some things we can take can be deadly to them, as I'm sure you know. I remember seeing something else when I was just taking a quick look for a friend. The majority of dogs can not process the ALA to EPA/DHA so try to find something with the EPA/DHA.

#7 ·
Omega 3 and 6. Good for skin, coat, joints.
I didn't start out giving her fish oil until I dropped my pill and she ate it. Now it's a ritual when I take my pills I drop my fish oil pill. :D

#12 ·
Omega 3. Not Omega 6. They have enough O6 in their diets from other sources. O3 helps with heart, arthritis, eyes and a whole slew of other potential health problems.
I stand corrected :blush:

#11 ·
It's cheaper on vitacost.com. make sure you find one that has the heavy metals taken out.

NSI Fish Oil EPA 360 mg / DHA 240 mg -- 300 Softgels - Vitacost

You'll need to give 400 IU Vit E Per day (regardless of how much fish oil you give, no more than 400 IU per day)

I've read different studies recommending different amounts of fish oil per pound. Anywhere from 1000 mg per 10 lbs to 1000 per 30 lbs. If your is not experiencing any problem then I would give the 2000 mg (700 mg O3) per day.

Vitamin C is a really good all around one to give as well.

#13 ·
i have been doing major research on my own and found that something called Salvia Hispanic Plant (also known as Chia seed or in capsule form) provides the richest source of omega fatty acids in plant form. you can give it to your pet and it's not harmful. However, would like to know if anyone out there has heard of chia seed or knows anything about it and/or better yet, has actually used it. thanks guys :)

#14 ·
I have been giving Yoko OmegaDog. It is Camelina Oil based, but reading the label it does say plus marine DHA. It says made with ocean plant Omegas & DHA, so its not from a fish source. It is made by Animal Naturals and I bought it from K9 Power Products. You could contact K9 Power and talk to them about your dogs allergies, they may have some ideas for you on what to give.

#15 ·
Nupro. which one?

to sable 123,
was just looking at the NUPRO and theres 2 of them which i'm considering but don't know which one. there's the Nupro supplement and then the Nupro Joint supplement. was just wondering which i should go for. thanks to SABLE 123 or anyone else who can help me out with the selection :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.