German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to give fish oil bought from a health food store. My shepherd was given fish oil from the vet but it is very expensive. i checked the label and it comparable to the ones at health food store just ddin't know if anyone knew if there might be a difference thats not on the label.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Yes, it's the same stuff.

Actually, I'll let you in on a secret: I'm a personal trainer and recommend all my clients take fish oil because if its many benefits. However, I steer them away from the expensive ones sold in the gym store and just tell them to go to Costco or Walgreens or Wal-Mart or whatever and get the one that has the most EPA + DHA per capsule. The EPA and DHA are the "good stuff" we're trying to get out of fish oil in the first place.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes it is quite okay, if not better, to get a fish oil marketed for humans. But since supplements aren't regulated and fish oil has such a high possibility for contamination I would only buy it from a company that tests it products for potency and purity. I want it to be affordable also so I chose Carlsons salmon oil. I get it from vitacost as they seem to be well priced,

Carlson Norwegian Salmon Oil -- 180 Softgels + 50 Softgels Free - Vitacost

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm giving Joey Nordic Naturals for dogs, but it's expensive.

I'd like to give him something comparable in a human-grade Omega 3.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. He's 6 years old and weighs 77 pounds.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I get my fish oil in a big bottle from Costco, I think it's about $10 for 400 capsules. I take it myself and give it to the dogs. I don't know how they get away with charging so much for pet-grade fish oil at the vet!

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
yep! I buy my dogs fish oil from Walgreens. They offer buy one get one free deals regularly.
:thumbup: Me too!!! Every weekend they put a brand on sale. I buy them on B1G1F in the Finest Natural brand 350 pill bottles. You get 700, 1000mg pills for about $17 AFTER tax! Can't beat it! :)

I've only ever used pet specific FO once and I saw really no difference besides the extreme price difference. A 1 month supply for both my little dogs was $14-$15 after tax in the dog specific stuff...For $17 (Again, I only buy when it's B1G1F) in the human stuff, it last me (since I take it too) and both my dogs roughly 7.5 months! As for skin and coat, it all works the same IME. Though the bottled liquid fish oil wont keep as long as the capsules so make sure you get those. If the dog wont eat them whole, you can prick them with a needle and squirt it onto the food. A couple extra steps are worth the longer shelf life IMO.

Make sure you supplement with vitamin E too!! For a GSD, give 400 IU a day. :) You can use the human supplements for those too. Just check the back to make sure it's d-Alpha rather than dl-Alpha. (Which is synthetic) Again, I buy these B1G1F for super cheap.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'll start using human grade once I run out of pet grade.

Is there a ratio of EPA and DHA to look for?

I do give Joey Vitamin E every day.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
Make sure you supplement with vitamin E too!! For a GSD, give 400 IU a day. :) You can use the human supplements for those too. Just check the back to make sure it's d-Alpha rather than dl-Alpha. (Which is synthetic)

xxx true except that d alpha tocopherol is only one part of Vitamin E . You are missing the most important ones. That is the problem when vitamins are isolated .

·
Premium Member
16,482 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.