German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, Pepper and I visited Lum’s pond in Delaware. My goal is to one day be able to truly hike and jog with her off leash, and Lums pond has an ENORMOUS off leash dog area. Open fields, trails, trails that split off into other trails, a huge pond (really more of a lake, it’s gigantic) for swimming. It’s great practice for off-leash walking. She’s very bonded to me, and makes sure I’m within her eyeline all the time, even when there are other dogs to play with. I’ve never had trouble getting her back on leash when it’s time to go home.

So far, with Pepper’s recall training, we’ve only really practiced at home, and in our backyard. It’s been successful, but success inside, free of distractions, is hardly a proper test. That’s why we only go off leash at Lums pond, I don’t trust her recall enough to take her anywhere else just yet.

Today, however, she’s started to prove herself. Yesterday’s snow melted, and the trails, and woods, were covered with huge puddles everywhere. Muddy puddles are one of Pepper’s favorite things in the world, so she was having a blast. She spotted a huge puddle fairly deep in the woods, and took off to roll in it. I’m fine with her rolling in the mud (or rather, I’m used to it) but I didn’t like her being so far off trail. So I decided it was a good time to test her. I whistled to catch her attention, then said “Peppper, Come!” My good girl obediently hopped out of the puddle, and ran right back to me. I rewarded her with an abundance of pets, and cheerful “good girl!” She was visibly proud of herself for pleasing me. I didn’t even mind getting completely covered with mud in the process.

I’m looking forward to doing more practice with her so we can go off-leash hiking in more places. Now, if only I could curb her love of mud...

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Sounds like you and Pepper are doing great. I know Lums Pond! I grew up in Maryland close to Delaware. I took my dogs there all the time when I was a kid. I used to look for turtles along the banks of the pond and in the woods. I haven't been there in years. At the time, there was no dog park. I bet it has changed a lot since I've been there! Fair Hill Nature Center was my favorite place to walk the dogs...it was really close to my family's house. I miss living that close to a park!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you and Pepper are doing great. I know Lums Pond! I grew up in Maryland close to Delaware. I took my dogs there all the time when I was a kid. I used to look for turtles along the banks of the pond and in the woods. I haven't been there in years. At the time, there was no dog park. I bet it has changed a lot since I've been there! Fair Hill Nature Center was my favorite place to walk the dogs...it was really close to my family's house. I miss living that close to a park!
We do love it! I live in Maryland, but right on the border, so the pond is less than a 15 minute drive from me. The dog park is the bulk of the reason we go, though the hiking trails are gorgeous too. It’s so much bigger than simply being a dog park. All the trails really do simulate what a off leash hike would feel like.

I’ve never been to Fair Hill (I’m fairly new to the area) but it’s on my list! I’ll have to give it a shot.

·
Super Moderator
5,175 Posts
Hi Neighbor. We might have to look into that park someday. Well done with the recall!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Neighbor. We might have to look into that park someday. Well done with the recall!
Thanks! And absolutely, I recommend it to everyone. This time of year, it hardly ever has any other visitors. Even in the summer, we had the place to ourselves more often then not. We go at least once a week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts