German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since rocky is going to be leaving monday and staying with a trainer for a month(I will be going there for a hour or 2 every couple days as well). I figured I would take him out this small creek/park area that is pretty secluded and almost ALWAYS empty. Im not quite sure why it has tons of benches, plenty of paved paths, and a great creek where the water barely flows but is about 4-5ft deep at the max and is very calm barely moving water.

Anyways we get down there, I take my backpack off do a little bit of training with the pup and then decide to try to get him swimming. This is his first time being by any water that wasnt a sprinkler, hose or a bath.

I threw a stick out for him, he got in as far as he could touch in the water but wouldnt go any further, he ran all the way around the water to the other side of the bank to try and get to it, still no dice. He tried for about 5 minutes straight to get that stick but couldnt because he was too scared of going in the water. I kept throwing sticks but the only one he would get were the very close 1's he could reach as long as he was touching the ground and coulds tick his muzzle out to get it. He started to get frustrated and would go up on his back 2 feet in the water and then slam his front 2 legs down in the water then run out and do the same thing over and he would make some little wimper sounds too.

So finally I started throwing them a little bit further and further until there was 1 stick that was just out of his farthest reach and he HAD to swim to get it so he lunged at it and swam back to me with it. He was soooooo happy and excited! He then started going and getting all of the other sticks that were way farther out in the water and bringing them back to me until I had a pile of sticks at my feet. He LOVED IT!!!!

Anyways this was one of my best days ive ever had. My little 6 month old pup is the best dog I could have ever asked for or imagined. It was so nice with it being just me and him at the creek. I wish I could have got some pics/video but with just me I was a little nervous about the whole experience and felt it would be better to just focus on him and working with him then trying to diddle with camera stuff too!

Anyways sorry to ramble on, but I am just so happy and will be so sad with him gone for a month!

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
That's awesome! That's exactly how I trained Ozzy to swim (he can, I can't) Now he thinks he's a seal. I can't keep him out of water!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Terrific! Good going Rocky. It's always great to watch them develop and do their "first" experiences like that. I'm just imagining that jumping up and splashing with his two front feet wanting to get those sticks.

Gook Luck with your training. Hope the month goes by fast.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts